waffle

micro crabs / amarinus lacustris

kms
1 hour ago, Crabclaw said:

Maybe they don’t have them there bc they’re illegal...? They seem to be quite popular everywhere else!

I seen them a few year back, all I see now are miniature crabs.

jayc
1 hour ago, Rare Aqua said:

The only LEGAL crustacean import for Australia are Brine shrimp, Australia is extremely strict with their biosecurity so i would definitely not attempt to smuggle them into the country as if you're caught the fines are massive and you may face jail penalties as an exotics import/exporter

Agreed, don't import into Australia.

But thankfully KMS is from Hong Kong. HK doesn't care about biosecurity like we do.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

sdlTBfanUK
6 hours ago, jayc said:

Agreed, don't import into Australia.

But thankfully KMS is from Hong Kong. HK doesn't care about biosecurity like we do.

Also the attempted smuggled creatures of any kind will face being destroyed!

Simon

• Sad 1

Grubs

@Rare Aqua  It would be great to see a photo or two of your A. lacustris and how you keep them.

I've seen them in rivers near Melbourne but only ever one or two individuals.  They are quite cryptic and not as "outgoing" as A. laevis.  Do the males die off each year or can you stretch them into a second year in captivity?

Edited by Grubs
  • Like 1

Crabclaw

Dang ur lucky, I've never seen them wild before. Probably lucky I haven't though, cuz I'd be so tempted to set up a tank and bring them home 😂

kms

I'm really happy, finally a local shop in Hong Kong had some of these crabs, not to sure which variation of the spider crabs,, but they advertised them as miniature spider crabs (Limnopilos naiyanetri) , I was going to bring them back from Taiwan if I find any, but no need now, got them for about GBP 13.50 for 10 crabs, I will pick up another 30 crabs in the next few day.

The first photo is the crabs in the bag, I won't get home till tmr, the second photo is taken at the shop.

20190914_192132.jpg

20190914_175655.jpg

20190915_080950.jpg

20190915_080645.jpg

Edited by kms
  • Like 4

sdlTBfanUK

Had a quick look in my new invertebrates book and think they are Limnopilos naiganetri! If so it says temperature 24 to 28, Ph 7.5 - 8.5. They should be given driftwood and floating plants. It also says that although they carry eggs, raising the young has not been done in captivity (book produced 2015). This youtube video says she has had breeding though????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPOIq4AsZCE

I had thought about getting some in the past but as she says they are a bit like spiders so that put me off................

Hope everything else is going well still!

Simon  

• Thanks 1

Crabclaw

CUTE!

• Haha 1

kms

Yesterday I put a 3 new shrimps in the tank, and one dead shrimp that was DOA in the bag, nothing happened to the 3 shrimps, but the dead shrimp was swarmed by 3 crabs as food, would you presumed the live shrimps might get attacked soon or later.

• Like 1

Grubs

I think the live shrimp will be fine.  The micro-crabs are delicate creatures taking advantage of a rotting corpse.

I'm sure the crabs will enjoy the protein.  Ordinarily I avoid feeding dead livestock to other livestock to prevent transmission of disease or unknown parasites although I will say as a shrimpkeeper the temptation is strong. 😄

• Thanks 1

sdlTBfanUK

I would imagine that the crabs will eat dead shrimps, even shrimps eat dead other shrimps, as they are both scavengers. Not sure that they would attack a live shrimp but it is probably best t keep a close eye on what happens before getting any more of either shrimps or crabs for that tank!

Simon

• Thanks 1

kms
4 hours ago, Grubs said:

I think the live shrimp will be fine.  The micro-crabs are delicate creatures taking advantage of a rotting corpse.

I'm sure the crabs will enjoy the protein.  Ordinarily I avoid feeding dead livestock to other livestock to prevent transmission of disease or unknown parasites although I will say as a shrimpkeeper the temptation is strong. 😄

It wasn't intentional, I was just putting the new shrimps into the tank, the dead shrimp just fell into the tank.

I just purchased another 10 crabs today to make it a total of 22, but the shop put a few more in the bag for me, I will be keeping about 10 crabs, the others are for two of my friends, there tanks isn't setup yet, as these crabs are hard to obtain in Hong Kong, the last time I saw them available was over 5 years ago.

Edited by kms
  • Like 1