SS Moss Mesh where?

NoGi

Hey Guys,

Where's the best place to source some stainless steel mesh to use with moss? Need something a little wider than the stuff you use to divide a tank.

Nogi

• 2 weeks later...

crime safe? if that is good enough or will suit see your local security door place they will have off cuts....

Just for everyones general knowledge, i stumbled along some metal gauze in bigw. its $3 for two replacement gauzes and they measure about 12cm squared. they are located in the camping section. it is small enough so that baby shrimp cant pass, same material as your ss filter intakes. ill buy one when i get a chance. great for moss / tank division if you drill a hole in a sheet of glass and silicon it over

Hey guys, just to clarify, it's not a tank divider suited mesh (so shrimplets can't get through) I am chasing, it's mesh to tie moss down to. So it can have bigger holes. :) The divider mesh would be too difficult to get my cotton thread through. LOL

@ Gino, only after 4 x 5cm sq

@ BlueBolt. is the stuff you have better suited for a divider or moss?

Hi nogi,

This is the stuff I have photo is about 1 for 1 as far as size. Good to tie stuff down to deffinately to thing to grow things through. Needle and thread would be fine to go through.

If it suites its yours alternatively I have friend that sells the ones ur after I'm just finding out if he has any left.

Just use the SS mesh you get in vegetable strainers etc in the kitchen sections, Or even $2 shops.

You can even get flat plated ones like this;

31V7SDqz7bL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

I find the best mesh is the flattened expanded mesh.

I was quoted $160 for a 750x1200 sheet of 316 stainless mesh.

Enough for 360 5x5 squares... shotgun not cutting it up :)

Anyone interested in doing a group buy? might be able to look around and get a better price, i only got a quote from one place

hey boys and girls I will check out some contacst with work as being a shopfitter doing food retail we are always using ss i might be able to get my hands on some of it.... If i do i will post it up here for you all...

• 7 months later...

Ressurecting an old thread, I'm looking for some fine ss mesh to patch over holes in a bank of tanks (fine enough to prevent shrimplet transfer). I'll check out big w, but if anyone has other suggestions where I could buy from that would be awesome.

I found this at a $2 shop. Cost me $2.25. Maybe check out some of those $2 shops/reject shop???

Looks ok and will stop shrimplets.

null_zps46aff0c5.jpg

null_zps28736ee3.jpg

Hmm thats an idea, do you know if it might rust over time?

Hmm thats an idea' date=' do you know if it might rust over time?[/quote']

I'm pretty sure stainless steel won't rust

That's what I thought, but im getting a bit of rust on the ss mesh I used to cover up my overflows! It's not the part in the tank though so it should be ok.

Sorry Wraithie, I cant recommend the place where I got mine as they annoyed me!!!

There are different grades of stainless steel e.g. 202, 316 ect. Most kitchen utensils are not made of the higher grade stainless steels like 316 which have a much higher resistance to corrosion, hence they will corrode when in freshwater. Even 316 will corrode when in saltwater, only titanium is really corrosion resistant (but not corrosion proof) in seawater.

Its worth checking the grade of your stainless mesh when buying if wanting to avoid it corroding in your shrimp tank.

I'm pretty sure stainless steel won't rust

These stainless steel that sell for cheap are low grade stainless steel. They will rust over time. Depending on how low grade, I've had stainless steel mesh filter inlet cover that rusted less then a year.

Most stainless will rust over time, especially with constant fluid contact, reduced pH and possible physical abrasion. All of which are expected in an aquarium. 316 just takes longer and will put up with more abuse.

To be technically correct, Titanium will also rust, but the rate at which it rusts is not enough to worry about for a few dozen generations, humans not shrimp.

The only metal that will not rust in the foreseeable future is Gold, which will take until the atmosphere of the earth becomes Sulfuric acid and then will still be partially resistant.

Im teying to source the bigger mesh might visit the reject shop tomorrow :-) thanks for all the pointers peepz