White Cloud Minnows

GotCrabs

Just got 10 White Cloud Minnows for the planted fish container in the backyard and was after some info on them, like mating, how often or when do they breed? What foods should I consider? At the moment it's just flakes, temp, down here we get down to 1c/-1c in the heart of winter, they seem to be getting along well in there at the moment, all schooling around together, cool to watch.

I've kept them before in an unheated tank indoors, so not sure what the lower end of their temperature tolerance is. Would suggest though that -1 may be too low.

Mine bred easily with no help from me. Just wait until you see the tiny juvies. There is a reason why they are called poor man's neon tetra!

I don't mind them, look all right, not bad colour, just wanted something hardy in the container outside besides Goldfish, they seem to be loving it though cruising around a fair sized planted container.

They are one of my favourite fish. They are fantastic for small ponds or even water bowl type ponds. They are as tough as nails and when the males start to colour up they get a luminous light green stipe across the dorsal and anal finage. Good luck with them GC I am sure you will do well with them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

They can live with ice on the water, the young look like neons and are easy to breed. Many 1000s are breed up here on one of the farms

Don't quote me on this I could be wrong (who said that I am never right) I think they are extinct in the wild and they come from the White Cloud Mountains in China.

Top pick of fish to, they are a really nice little fish, get some frozen food into them when it warms and they will breed for you, if they are on there own they wont eat all the young either

Bob

• Like 1

I have roughly 20 in a container with 4 Goldfish, the Goldfish aren't mine, heaps of plants in there thanks to Callan, they seem happy and school together.

One of my favorite little fish too, just love em. 

Yeah Bob they were considered extinct, urban or agricultural pressure, not aquarium collection btw. I think they found a new population somewhere since then. There's a couple of newer colour forms I haven't kept before. Then there's the Vietnamese White Clouds which are a different Tanichthys species, very nice fish too. 

They can live with ice on the water, the young look like neons and are easy to breed. Many 1000s are breed up here on one of the farms

Don't quote me on this I could be wrong (who said that I am never right) I think they are extinct in the wild and they come from the White Cloud Mountains in China.

Top pick of fish to, they are a really nice little fish, get some frozen food into them when it warms and they will breed for you, if they are on there own they wont eat all the young either

Bob

You are spot on Bob they do originate from the white cloud mountains in China  and are actually considered to be a tropical fish. They however thrive better in australia's colder climate and are a really good mosquito larvae eating fish, which makes the perfect for water bowls or small ponds.

• Like 1