Question about API Copper liquid test kit

Odin

Does anyone have any experience with this test kit? i understand you would usually use it to correctly measure copper levels from medicine you are treating your tank with, but I wanted to know if the minimum it can test for is near to what Shrimp can or cant tolerate?

Only reason i ask is in the UK we have alot of copper pipe in our houses and this is my water source, I don't have an RO unit yet and local LFS don't sell RO water, its a pretty long drive to anywhere that sells it.

thanks.

I have the same concern with copper and don't think the resolution of the liquid tests is good enough to be of value. Crustaceans are potentially very sensitive. 

I decided a better option than testing was to run a "metal sponge" in the system to keep it clean. I went with Cuprisorb because it was cheap and easy to get, rechargeable and most importantly because it discolours as it fills up with copper. That means I don't have to test, I just recharge the cuprisorb if it goes dark. It's at least a step better than what I was doing before - nothing. If you're testing and find a positive level (likely), you'll have to do something like this anyway. 

There are "polyfilters" and other heavy metal resins on the market if they are more available or better suited to your setup. 

That's true the API test gives at least 0.25ppm mesure. It should be enough to kill some fragile shrimps and this test is done to controle copper based medication in fish tank.

I read about 0.010 ppm to be lethal for some reef crustacean...

Cuprisorb is in my opinion, the best way for those who does not have Ro/Di system. Even if using Ro/Di, some copper can be melt in some food or fertilizer for plants.

My question is about the use of Cuprisorb. It looks like Purigen but Seachem tells it's a "narrow spectrum"absorbent. I personnaly use Purigen in my canister filter, which is "broad spectrum" absorbent. Is it really necessary to use cuprisorb when using Purigen ?

JiCi, that's exactly right. We need to be careful what copper content is present in the foods we add and particularly the trace element supplements we may use in shrimp tanks. 

I think that Purigen and Macropore only absorb organics, particularly nitrogenous products (so not copper and other heavy metals), while Cuprisorb only absorbs heavy metals. Carbon as an alternative does both jobs less well, releases phosphates, cannot be recharged and may raise pH and KH. 

Because Macropore and Purigen both remove tannin from the water I don't think it's wise to run them full-time in a shrimp system. Because we want the humic and fulvic acids present for their benficial side, we need to find another way of keeping the water clean enough. Well-cycled filters and small regular water changes should do the trick. Healthy plant growth to absorb nitrate will certainly help too, as long as the excess growth is regularly removed from the system. . 

Well i have ordered it and will see what comes of it, will keep you all posted.

had a look under my sink and there is copper pipes to the cold and hot, oh man lol.

also bought some Cuprisorb, will fill up a bag and put it in my tank, how long does it usually last with average tap water? i know all water is different but are we talking weeks or months before the stuff becomes spent?

Considering my experience with Purigen, I would say maybe 2 to many weeks... You can check from time to time the color of the Cuprisorb. It turns dark if when loaded.

I may have said something misleading above when I stated that purigen or macropore won't absorb copper because they absorb organics. Considering that much of the copper in our tanks ends up strongly bound to organics, it seems likely that it would get pulled out with them. It's worth testing and if nobody else does it, I might. 

So i tested my tank water and its a Zero, I've read 0.10 is enough to harm shrimp but i will be adding in something from seachem to absorb copper this week in case :)

5aow1g.jpg

Edited by Mech
  • Like 1

My cuprisorb has been in nearly a month and has developed a very slight greenish discoloration. I believe it is doing something. Apparently it will be a "dark greenish-black" at exhaustion so I have no plans to regenerate it yet. 

My Cuprisorb went in yesterday, around 33grams as my tanks 120 - 130litres. It's gone in the 1st section of my aquaone nano 130 sump section on the back.

Did a 35% water change last night and put back in 4 scoops of SS gh/kh+

The water I removed was

KH - 1-2

GH - 8-9

PH - 6.6

TDS - 270

I reduced the temperature of the heater back down to 21/22 degrees as it's starting to get away from the cold frosty weather here in the UK.

I can see baby shrimp in the Sump/filter sections so that's got to be a good sign.

Sorry Mech I did not see your reply.

Yes I regenerate my Purigen, it should be the third or forth time I do it, following the Seachem instructions (bleach and soaking with Discus Buffer) and all is good for me.