Out with the Kids

Tankeyone

My Dad, Brothers and Nephews went out for a bit of fun to see what they could rustle up in a local creek. Some of the Ladies of the family went along as well, but sounds like they more enjoyed relaxing and taking photos of the boys (4 and 2) who were having an absolute ball. 

30ae1b7.jpg

Disappointingly I wasn't able to make it that day, but as I'm the only one in the family with space dedicated to aquaria I've been lucky enough to end up with what they caught! 

There are green and red fin Pacific Blue Eyes, Empire Gudgeons, Mullet, and my favourite; a bunch of Shrimp! 

Some of the shrimp are quite clearly a macrobrachium/long arm, because they are large and have arms... but some of them are smaller, slightly different body shape, rostrum shape and coloured differently. 
Possible they're just juvenile macro's but I'm wondering if they're something else? Can anyone help me with ID?

My apologies for the slightly blurry photo's, I am not a photographer. 

30hyq1j.jpg

4gkbbo.jpg

ojqyky.jpg

I'll add some pictures of the blue eyes etc if I can get a photo that doesn't look like it was taken through a coke bottle. 

Edit: The colours that show up brown in the photos along the bottom of the abdominal segments above the swimerettes are actually quite a deep red. same red colour on the rostrum and in one case some striping on the carapace. 

Edited by Tankeyone

haha, yeah, couple of police officers in the family so I make a habit of blanking out faces in public media. 

Where were you, that always helps with ID, There is only a few species down that way, I am from Dayboro before moving up here.

If they cant be ID the guy that is doing all the ID work Taxo work not genetic work in Australia, is in Brisbane, in south Brisvagas.

With that rostrum it will be one of the Brisbane endemic species. You can not ID natives by colour, I always through that one in as every one wants to use colour to ID natives and I don't work. Not pointing fingers just trying to get the message out there to every one.

Kids always have the best fun collecting and it hooks them for life most of the time.

Bob

• Like 1

Thats youngs crossing if im not mistaken, its a good little spot, but can get very salty

Dam been 10 years since I was there and there was huge well coloured Carp there 15 years ago. Lucky its not here as there would be crocs there, I do miss having no crocs, but the pay off is the species up here.

With that nose they might be C. indistincta, the museum will tell you, most likely from the location alone

Buck have you caught the scatts and Monos just down from the crossing??

Bob

Scatts yes, no monos but! Its my favourite spot to get bullrout! and perchlets to feed my turtle haha. I always get bulk blue eyes and gudgeons too.

lol that got OT pretty fast. 

correct me if i'm wrong but scats/mono need brackish water, and move to salt water as they develop into adults? 

would that cause problems keeping them in aquaria or do you just catch+release? 

Scats can do fresh and so can monos im led to believe. Untill I moved house they were going well in 100% fresh :) and ive had store bought monos before in fresh

Scatts and Monos can live there whole life in fresh water, breeding is a problem only because of food, they can complete there laval stage in fresh if they have the food they need.

I have seen 40cm red scats in fresh water a long way from salt in rainforest creeks.

Bob

That's interesting, yet another thing I've read on the internet that proves to be false. surprise surprise. 

I dislike the internet info, as it could come from a 6 year and they could be known as a expert.

The classic is Freshwater Morays Gymnothorax polyuraodon , the forums say it wont like in any thing but Brackish water, We have kept specimens in full fresh for may years and spawning is next try as we have a lot more info now, below is a link with some old info, it is yet to be updated.

We have observed them at times of salt influx to be as far away from the salt as they can be.

http://australianmuseum.net.au/freshwater-moray-gymnothorax-polyuranodon-bleeker-1853

Bob

• Like 1

Goes with out saying SKF is all good.

So many time talking to customers I get, This is a fact because I read on the Net and they are so far left of right its mind blowing LOL, some shops info is not much better. 

Bob