locations in adelaide

mr rowley

Hello just wondering if anyone knows of some good places to look for shrimp around adelaide and what sort of shrimp might be found. cheers

• HOF Member

I would be interested to know too. I have heard the Torrens catchment creeks have shrimp but haven't looked there yet.

My mate got some in the torrens but im just wondering other good places m thinking the gorge and kangaroo creek but love to hear others share some places

i no this place is a little far from you guys but if you go to the broughton river were the old bridge is you will find some shrimps idk if they are native but there are shrimp samon and yabbes there to

Ahhhh mr rowley as i keep telling you, your invited to my next shrimping trip to the torrens (if your allowed). Its not as bad as people think. Last scoop i had i found rainbows, flathead gudgeons, yabbies and a 4cm tandanus as well as the shrimp lol. Over the years iv found less and less gambusia and more gudgeons. Last year was the first time i found rainbows but i release everything but shrimp and a couple gudgeons for a mate. I like to go late at night so theres no beady eyes with questions lol

• 1 year later...

You can catch shrimp out of the Murray near Mannum. Also, as others have suggested - out of the catchment areas. 

I have seen shrimp in the River Torrens just below Kangaroo Creek reservoir as the water can be very clear in between flow release periods.

• Like 1

• HOF Member

I haven't gone shrimp hunting yet so I must have a look at Mannum next time we go. I keep saying I will get some natives but it still hasn't happened. too many projects happening  :thumbsu:

• Like 1

im interested to know what species are native to SA?

From what I can gather; you'll find Paratya australiensis, Caridina mccullochi and Macrobrachium australiense - all seem to be widespread in the Murray system across a few states. P. australiensis is more widespread. I don't know much about distribution, but it is something I'm interested in.

And it seems not a lot is known about how large these populations are or how far they extend. I've been doing some digging around in Australian ecology journals, with not a lot of luck.

• Like 2

nice one, thanks!!

never heard of caridina mccullochi before but it seems like a groovy shrimp :)

I've seen a reference that Caridina mccullochi is the same as C. indistincta but can't find it now. The closest I can find is that Tim Page puts it in the C. indistincta complex and they may be the same. 

Yes you're right EarthyGeo, I can't imagine any others than those 3 in SA. They are certainly widespread  in the Vic Murray drainage and the Paratya and Macro are common. 

If anyone goes looking you'll need a hand lens or similar to distinguish Paratya from Caridina - the Paratya have supraorbital spines and Fishmosy has good illustrations on his thread in the Paratya section of SKF. The Caridina won't be common. 

• Like 1