Clicky

Twellsy

Betta Questions

Twellsy

Hi All ,

Just got a couple of questions about keeping a male betta

My wife wants to get a blue male and I have no idea about them

1. Is an external breeding box big enough for one male betta ( 2.6L ) ?

2. What PH is good for a betta ? My PH is 6.4

3. What Tempreture ? Breeding box is 24 degrees

4. Anything else I need to know ?

Thanks in advance

Twellsy

Wraithie

Squiggle should be able to elaborate ;)

my understanding is they are generally quite forgiving.

CNgo2006
Hi All ' date='

Thanks in advance

Twellsy[/quote']

Should be AOK! I am an ex Betta Breeder myself, only concern is the tank IMO should be at least 4l so he can swim around comfortably but then again I have seen them kept in Beanie boxes, as long as the water from main tank is constantly flowing into the external breeder you should be right.

Twellsy
Squiggle should be able to elaborate ;)my understanding is they are generally quite forgiving.
Cheers I message him
Should be AOK! I am an ex Betta Breeder myself' date=' only concern is the tank IMO should be at least 4l so he can swim around comfortably but then again I have seen them kept in Beanie boxes, as long as the water from main tank is constantly flowing into the external breeder you should be right.[/quote']Cheers for the reply , the water does flow through the breeder box ( not sure what the water turn over is )

KiwiBigD

There was also legislation introduced a while back to try and ensure the minimum size for fish in particular Bettas was larger than 4L, no idea though how you go about enforcing it though.

We've also kept Bettas including a lot of Wilds previously, personally I wouldn't keep in anything less that a 1 foot cube, fish need space.

Twellsy
There was also legislation introduced a while back to try and ensure the minimum size for fish in particular Bettas was larger than 4L' date=' no idea though how you go about enforcing it though.

We've also kept Bettas including a lot of Wilds previously, personally I wouldn't keep in anything less that a 1 foot cube, fish need space.[/quote']

Cheers mate , thought 2.6L was going to way to small. Could be time for another cube !!!!

KiwiBigD
Cheers mate ' date=' thought 2.6L was going to way to small. Could be time for another cube !!!![/quote']

Never need an excuse for another tank mate ;-)

CNgo2006

Just keep in mind the happier and less stressed they are, the better they will look and longer they will live, so if you have the means a larger tank would be ideal!

Also the long tail variety are very susceptable to fin rot so try to minimise the stress and keep water conditions in check.

Squiggle

Yeah the larger the better, 1 ft cubes are a great size, they like a low ph & soft water, they can handle higher temps but 25-26 is good. I used to keep mine in big 3-4L square vases. They don't need filtration or aeration if you do 100% water changes 1-2 times a week, they do like clean water but can handle almost any conditions, their fins will suffer when the conditions are bad. I breed mine in custom 10L tanks I made & I have all my show males in 900ml takeaway containers, I know it's not ideal but I still haven't found a way to jar 100+ males in larger volumes :dejection:

Bettythebetta
Hi All ,

Thanks in advance
Twellsy

They need a temp between 78-83 degrees Fahrenheit.

Sent from my iPad using Shrimp Keepers Forum