Shrimp hanging at surface. Lack of oxygen?

Apollo4

Hey all

i noticed a few dead cherries and a lot hanging just under the surface of water.

I lifted the sprayer bar out of the water to add some oxygen and now they all

seem fine?

any ideas?

Definitely sounds like they're gasping for oxygen. I hear many hobbyist experiencing shrimp jumping out if the tank, shrimp sitting on the outflow, or hanging on the surface etc...these are often related to insufficient oxygen, due to heat, pollutants etc..... Perhaps do a small water chnage o be safe, as this will also freshen up the water.

Marcus is right and it is a classic and easy to make mistake, over feeding leads to oxygen depletion from the break down of excess food and Ammonia is one of the biggest users of Oxygen..

Bob

• 4 weeks later...
Definitely sounds like they're gasping for oxygen. I hear many hobbyist experiencing shrimp jumping out if the tank' date=' shrimp sitting on the outflow, or hanging on the surface etc...these are often related to insufficient oxygen, due to heat, pollutants etc..... Perhaps do a small water chnage o be safe, as this will also freshen up the water.[/quote']

Could adding an air stone be beneficial by increasing O2 into the tank as well as water circulation/ agitation...CJ

Yeah air stone will help heaps.

What was the temp of your tank when this happened?

As mentioned above it could have been a mixture of higher temp, slight over feeding and no air stone which lead to lack of oxygen.

Hi Triggs Are you asking myself or Apollo4 mate? If it's me, my 1ft cube tank (cherries) is between 25 - 27 degrees...Pretty hot here in Perth lately...high 30s to early 40s...Cheers CJ

Yeah air stone will help heaps. What was the temp of your tank when this happened? As mentioned above it could have been a mixture of higher temp, slight over feeding and no air stone which lead to lack of oxygen.

Both really. A warmer tank will have less oxygen for both of you.