White film on my substrate

wwtan5917

Currently Cycling my new tank for a week now and I noticed some white film growing on my substrate, my substrate is active and I also added some root tabs when setting up my aquarium to increase plant growth. Is this bad? Because it’s definitely unsightly, is there a way to get rid of it? And what’s causing it?

92b170ef84d490e735604fdd68bd2bbe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wwtan5917 said:

I also added some root tabs when setting up my aquarium to increase plant growth.

You have too much nutrients in the tank for the amount of plants you have. What you have there is a type of fungus. Generally seen in new tanks during the cycling period. It's not harmful and should disappear after a few water changes. Speed it up by vacuuming the gravel.

• Like 1

As with JayC. I had this when I set up a new tank. The substrate I use (JBL Proscape) says to do 50% water changes every 2-3 days in the first 2 weeks due to the mineral build up released by the substrate, and you have the additional root tabs on top of that. As JayC says, mine disappeared after some large water changes.

Simon

As with JayC. I had this when I set up a new tank. The substrate I use (JBL Proscape) says to do 50% water changes every 2-3 days in the first 2 weeks due to the mineral build up released by the substrate, and you have the additional root tabs on top of that. As JayC says, mine disappeared after some large water changes.
Simon

Awesome thanks for the tips!!

You have too much nutrients in the tank for the amount of plants you have. What you have there is a type of fungus. Generally seen in new tanks during the cycling period. It's not harmful and should disappear after a few water changes. Speed it up by vacuuming the gravel.

Thanks! Great to hear it’s not harmful [emoji38]

• Like 1