winter breeding

nicpapa

Hello there.

How is your breeding routines going?

it have been years now , that shirmps dont breed in winter, i keep aroud 20 tanks.

Shrimps stop breeding from novemer to march.

Temp no plays role,  i keep tanks without heat and tanks with heat , also some tanks with more light and some wiht less.

I saw crs breeding in 15c,,,, and in another tank with 22 c from 200-300 srhimps no one breeding with same light.

After a  lot of research the only think that it play roles in winter is barometric presure.

The crazy is that a friend living here , he saw some breeding in winter.

The only think its in my mind is that my shrimp room dont have a good  insulation so barometric presure is the same as outside...

In house with a good insulation  aircodition can change the barometric presure, and keep it stable .

What is your opinion about breeding in winter ?

• Like 1

I've had 3 berried females, only one after adding a heater. Two were bloody mary, one a YKK. My YKK colony is pretty young still so first berried female from the group.

Unfortunately, a bacterial infection or something wiped out many of the Neos, including many of the babies and I haven't seen signs of the YKK offspring yet... so it could be better! 

I know many people experience slower breeding in winter. One breeder/reseller said that he put a heater in his shrimp room (small bedroom converted shrimp room - door is often open to the rest of the house with a gate to keep the pup out) which helped to increase breeding.

I don't have a shrimp room, tanks are in living space.

• 10 months later...

There is a good video about Taiwan bee shrimps not breeding in winter so it is worth watching if this is something happening to you, great videography as well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYvkSWrZAEc

My taiwan bees aren't breeding and I suspect that  it is because it is winter here and so it was really bad timing on my part as they probably reached breeding age as winter started, d'oh!

I think I have said elsewhere on here, but can't now find it (my bad) that my small 15L tank I started with didn't have this happen but I found my old notes and babies/berried shrimp actually didn't start to be seen until end of March (then it went crazy) so again it appears to confirm this affected that tank as well, and it doesn't seem to matter the size of tank if this is correct.

Annoyingly this means I have to try and keep these adults alive until spring, though I can hope there may be some babies soon (oblivious)??

Simon

• Like 2

• sdlTBfanUK pinned this topic