Clicky

Onyxiss

What am I doing wrong?

Onyxiss

Hey peeps,

So I'm a newbie shrimp owner (literally like a week ago) and just looking for some information on things I'm doing wrong or not doing at all that I should be. 

I have a 30L tank that has been running for the last 2 years with on and off fish in it. The substrate in the tank is Fluval Stratum on the bottom with a fine gravel on top(I could never get the plants to say down with just the stratum as it was too light). There are 3 different tissue culture plants around the tank, that I am trying to get to spread, as well as some java moss. 

I have started with 3 RCS that I did ask for at least one of each sex but the more I have watched them the more I'm starting to feel like I have 3 females. 

Water parameters;

Am - 0
PH - 7
GH - 4
KH - 0
This is all I can test for right now. 

Okay so my problems;
My plants aren't growing. I have had the plants in the tank for the last 2 years and they have just never seemed to grow at all. The algae on the other hand spreads so fast that I can see a notable difference just from the morning to noon. It's a really annoying stringy algae too. I am half dosing a plant food that I have twice a week(it recommends once) as the guy at my local aquarium said I could do that to hopefully boost the plants up enough to take from the algae. I'm also removing the algae strands when they're big enough for me to grab with my long tweezers. 

Second problem is my water hardness. When I first added the shrimp to the tank the GH and KH were both 0 so I have slowly been adding salts to up the GH over the last week. I know the stratum can lower the water hardness but I'm not sure if it reaches a point where it stops. So question is, am I going to be constantly battling against this? 
I also have KH powder that I haven't added any of yet because I had problems in the past with it adding an out of control amount of Phosphates. Are phosphates really bad for shrimp or can they handle an amount? 

Soo... I'm going to end it here before I reach novelist level.

Let me know if you need anymore information.

Thanks in advance 😃

jayc
16 hours ago, Onyxiss said:

My plants aren't growing.

What plants do you have? You only mentioned Java moss. 

What lights are you using? It might not be enough for the plants you have in the tank.

Second problem is my water hardness.

Is this tap water?

And what are you using to raise GH?

So question is, am I going to be constantly battling against this? 

It a constant adjustment that is required as part of your weekly water change.

GH being mainly made up of Calcium and Magnesium, fluctuates due to evaporation of water, or it's used up by Shrimps for their carapace, or the plants use some up. 

So this is where a weekly discipline of water changes is required.

Measure the tank's GH. Adjust your new water to the suitable level to bring GH up or down to the ideal levels for your type of shrimp, in this case Cherries - so GH6-8.

Especially if your new water has low GH/KH as found in RO or rain water or even Melbourne tap water. <-- these types of water need added "salts" ie Calcium Sulfate & Magnesium Sulfate.

If you invest in a TDS meter, this job of measurements can be made a lot easier. Rather than measuring GH/KH each time. You use the TDS meter to measure TDS to determine when a water change is required.

I also have KH powder that I haven't added any of yet

Don't add it. 

Are phosphates really bad for shrimp or can they handle an amount? 

Shrimps cannot handle too much phosphates, but phosphate is also one of the know causes for algae growth.

If you are experiencing algae growth, particularly hair algae, check your Nitrates too.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• Rare Aqua
      For anyone wanting to know about baby Amarinus Lacustris care, development etc I hope I answer your questions below,   Once a female crab has shed her skin a male crab with copulate, 'hug' belly to belly for about 10 mins to 1 hour, after 24hours eggs should be visible in the females abdominal egg flap, females can carry anywhere from 10 - 40 (possibly 50) eggs at a single time, depending on water temperature eggs hatch in 3-6 weeks, in cold water hatching speed will decrease (4-6 weeks) and tropical (3 weeks Minimum), young are fully formed transparent replicas of their parents after 2 moults they achieve their sandy brown colouring. the young feed on bacterial, decaying organic matter and infusoria. it takes about 2.5 months to reach sexual maturity (faster in warmer water). It is best to separate baby crabs from adults as they may predate on the offspring if food is scarce. I cannot add images due to file size restrictions, email me if you would like photos or to talk via email at zebradanio88@hotmail.com
      View full article
    • beanbag
      Thanks for the detailed reply. I had already done these things earlier: approx 15% water change.  My main water is RO + salty shrimp, and as I mentioned earlier, I used to have a slowly rising TDS and GH problem, so I always add in slightly diluted water.  However, I think the rising TDS issue recently stopped, so in the last few days, I "accidentally" dropped my GH from 6-7 into 5-6, and my TDS from 150's into 130's. 1/5th dose of Melafix (being very conservative here) added more IAL + most of the tannic boil water added a dried but non-boiled mulberry leaf I'll try to get some kind of dripper set up to do a bigger water change. In the meantime, I'm concerned about my other CRS (singular), which became inactive at around the same time as the deceased one.  (So probably they got zapped by the same thing)  It's not totally inactive, but usually moves from one spot to another every minute or so.  It often waves its front claws around and seems to rub or groom something on it's face or front legs, but I haven't seen it pick at anything (i.e. eat) in the last few days.  Didn't respond the Bacter AE dosing, and didn't respond to food placed elsewhere in the tank.  Have you seen this kind of behavior before? I attach a picture here.  It's hard to tell if it is pink or not on the inside due to the lighting.  Sometimes the insides look like clear-gray, but if there is strong light from above, I think it goes thru the red part of their shell and reddens the internals.  Anyway, I am fairly sure that earlier today I saw gray-clear parts on the inside.  Edit: just now looked at the shrimp from the underside and it doesn't seem pink, at least in the tail section.  Edit2: no, wait maybe it is a little pink after all.  Dang, hard to tell.  Edit 3: Here's another picture with different lighting, and now the insides look like that clear-grey color Regarding the oregano oil, I looked at the gill discoloration thread, and didn't see any recommendation for water column dosing, only food dipping.  But I am not sure this guy is going to eat if I put him in quarantine. Looking back at my shrimp keeping notebook, the only two things that could of "zapped' the two CRS are me adding a few tablespoons more substrate, or when I trimmed some plants and stirred things up a lot.
    • Fishlover
      Nice thanks for the reply i will try get some high grades if they ever coming here where l live 
    • jayc
      It is possible to breed high grade shrimp from low grade, but it takes a lot of time, a lot of culling and a lot of tanks. You select the best looking shrimp from each generation and breed them. Cull the rest or separate the low grade ones, so there is no risk of them breeding with the best shrimp and producing degraded shrimps in the next generation. Select the best again from the next generation and cull the lower grade shrimps. Repeat. This assume no new shrimps are added.   But if you add one or two high grade males to your low grade females, it improves quality immediately. One good male can impregnate many female shrimps.   So if you don't want to spend much on many high grade shrimps, get one good male.  
    • jayc
      yes. it can be done to the whole tank. But save some old filter media before dosing the whole tank. Then add the old media back into the filter after 2days. Keep the old media in some tank water during the 2 days (aerate if you have an air pump). That is just a precaution, in case the treatment kills your beneficial bacteria.     Melafix is only effective on a specific strain of bacteria. And we don't know what bacteria is in your tank, if any.     Before trying any of the treatments above, try an 80-90% water change and drip in the new water to acclimatise the shrimp to the new water. The new water should be pre-adjusted to CRS specific parameters. I'd like to rule out any mineral deficiencies in your water.  If you have driftwood and IAL, put a whole lot into the tank now to raise tannins and humic levels. This will give the water a certain level of antibacterial properties. Dried walnut and oak leaves can also be used to raise the tannin levels. The darker the water, the better.  Feed the shrimp fresh leaves and flowers (not dried leaves). Blanch leaves, like Mulberry, banana leaves for no more than 4 minutes. Flowers can be given fresh. Dandelions, Rose, whatever flowers you have in the garden. Again these have antibacterial properties, but as food for the shrimp. If you have a cinnamon stick, drop one into the tank. If you have green tea, drink or discard the 1st infusion and add the rest into the tank. An old stocking or sock can be used to hold the loose tea leaves. If you have tea bags, it's easier to just dangle the used green tea bag into the water.  Those are a few thing to try right now to raise the antibacterial properties of your tank. It's only temporary and can be removed once you see improvement in the shrimp. So don't worry if the tannins make your water too dark.