Dream Field trip, Cairns Adventure. HELP NEEDED

TOTAL TROPICALS

Hi everyone, my first ever post. Next week after 30+ years of living in Queensland ( Gold Coast ). I am finally making my way to Cairns. I'm only going to be up there for four days playing tour guide to my Uncle in law from Sweden. That's rich as I don't know my way around either. Hoping to squeeze in one or better yet two days exploring and collecting. 

I am targeting the following species

Harvey Creek Blue Eye, Maccullochi ( a red finned form preferred ), Cairn's Rainbow, Mudskipper, Archer and Jungle Perch + the following plant's Various mosses, susswassertang, echinodorus.

All will be filmed and released accept for a few Blue Eye, Maccullochi and maybe a Jungle perch as per bag limit, plants will definitely come home. I have read a number of North Boy's post on the area and it sounds even better than I ever thought. I would love to get his local advice but he does not seem active here anymore? If anyone can help with sure fire locations and directions for target species I would be forever greatful. The closer to town and my hotel the better as I really have a very limited time and I'm sure my Uncle in law doesn't want to be dragged around on his holiday. Flat Dog free would be great. North Boy also mentioned a man made lake close to him in Mulgrave that is full of Rainbows anyone know what species they are? M. splendida ?

Will post pics on my return, or maybe the police will be kind enough to post them on their website after the Coroner has cut me and my camera out of a crocs stomach LOL. Sure I'm laughing now.

Thanks for reading. Jason 

Edited by TOTAL TROPICALS

Hi Total Tropicals,

I'm a Cairns local and can help you out in a couple of tiny little ways. The Cairns Aquarium (centre of Cairns) has some excellent display tanks full of Lake Eacham rainbows and also Jungle Perch (possibly Archers too, I just can't remember), and the best part is that you won't have to put your life in danger around croc-infested water to photograph them. I know it's not out there in the wild but at least you are guaranteed to see them and be safe too! There are several local waterways that may also offer the piscatorial species you are after and are safe from crocs. Check out Crystal Cascades on Freshwater Creek in Redlynch Valley. It's about 15 mins drive from the centre of Cairns. Mudskippers can easily be observed anywhere along the Cairns Esplanade right in the centre of town. Go there when the tide is going out, northern end is best, but anywhere along there should yield some sightings. Enjoy your time up here in paradise and please don't tell the rest of the world how awesome it is up here or they'll all want to come :)

G'day Myola, thanks for the tips. Seen or owned most of those myself, over the years. More about the one time experience, I'm moving overseas in a few years and I doubt I'll ever get up your way again (sigh). I used to keep croc's in the 90's and don't mind them, more the ones you don't see in dirty water + I'll send my uncle in law in first of course ha ha. Interesting what you say about the mudskippers, don't imagine it will be to easy to get up on them though? Surprised they are on the Esplanade. Will give those locations ago THANK YOU! Ps I think your secret is already out. Always jealous of others going. So now it's my turn, have kept saying another time for to long. Thanks Jason

Edited by TOTAL TROPICALS

On 9/8/2018 at 9:07 PM, TOTAL TROPICALS said:

Interesting what you say about the mudskippers, don't imagine it will be to easy to get up on them though? Surprised they are on the Esplanade. 

The Esplanade is the road that runs along the waterfront of Trinity Bay which is where the CBD of Cairns is. When the tide goes out, there are mud-flats all the way along the shore. You can walk out onto the flats for a short distance but the mudskippers are usually quite close to the shore anyway. Don't go too far though as the mud will suck you in and you'll be stuck and might become a croc's dinner. Have fun watching them as they flip-flop around catching their tea.