Clicky

richiep

red crystal/black bee Not breeding

richiep

back in February this year i had which started off as a white algae bloom turned into a bad case of green algae and for some six week with the help of jayc matuva and a few other inputs we solved the problem, now as the green algae disappeared out of the darkness came lots of young, and that was the last lot of red crystal and black bee ive had in this 400ltr tank. in May i put fire red sakura into the same tank and there's been no trouble with them breeding, at the same time i put two dozen of my red crystal/black bee into one of my other tanks that have orange/red/green and yellow sakura that are breeding well. we are now in July and still no red or black bee young to be seen in ether tank, i'm using RO water in all my tanks TDS in the main tank with crystals is 180 my other tank is 220 all other water parameters are normal, the temperature in the crystal tank is kept minimum 22 max 23.5  or 71.6f to 74.3f temperature and cooling is controlled by computer. i know this may sound stupid beyond reason but to get rid of the algae bloom i used the fish R fun uv steriliser for six weeks or so, could this steriliser have made my shrimp infertile as i am at a loss, ive had no deaths in any tanks that i can see and they seem to be shedding ok. ive not even seen one berried shrimp.Help 😕 richie

nicpapa

What about gh kh ?

Tds its a lilte high for me.

I keep it with salty shrimp to 130 ppm and get 5 gh

Do you have active subtrate?

richiep

Hi nicpapa iam using Flora base pro substrate, As of this morning's readings my KH is 1 and my GH is 11, I also use bee shrimp GH+ mineral 

nicpapa
38 minutes ago, richiep said:

Hi nicpapa iam using Flora base pro substrate, As of this morning's readings my KH is 1 and my GH is 11, I also use bee shrimp GH+ mineral 

Gh is too high... the babies cant survive, high gh cause molting problems.

I dont know the substrate,

Try to lower the gh 4-5 .

With small water changes...

richiep

Should I use pure RO or mix a weak mineral 

jayc

Either way is fine as long as you start reducing the GH to something around 5 or 6. That might mean that TDS will need to be lower as well.

Water changes with Pure RO will reduce GH faster of course.

richiep

Hi jayc how you doing my friend, tell me would it be to harsh to change 10ltr a day of pure RO in a 220lt tank to get the GH down

pastu

I would change 10 l a week with pure ro

jayc
On 8 July 2018 at 12:40 AM, richiep said:

10ltr a day of pure RO in a 220lt tank t

That is less than 5%, so that should be safe. But maybe change it over every 3 days. Or every week, if you want to be safer.