Clicky

Sign in to follow this  
Tukie

No Planaria shrimp deaths

Tukie

I recently dosed my 3 foot tank with No Planaria in my 120L/3ft taitibee tank.  I dosed under the recommended dosage but after the 3rd day started seeing dead shrimp.  It was only 1-2 on day one so I did a 40% water change and added an internal filter with carbon to try and get the rest of the no planaria out of the tank.  It's day 5 now and I'm still seeing shrimp deaths.  Yesterday was the worst with about 10 and this morning was 5 found dead.  I always seem to find them in the morning and none seem to die during the day.  

Tank has 2 large sponge filters and a internal power head filter(normally don't use this one but needed for the carbon).  I have added an airstone today in case it is lack of oxygen.  Tank is planted but not heavily.  Mostly java ferns, anubias and subwassertang with a few floating watersprite.  Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20, KH 0-1, Gh - 4, TDS 120.

How long would it take to get the No Planaria out of the tank and are these deaths possibly just residual from the initial dosings?  I'm doing another 20% water change today and hopefully the deaths will stop soon or is it possible my whole colony is doomed already?  Remaining shrimp seem to be acting fine and haven't seen any odd behaviour in them at all.

Any advice is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Tukie

Have lost 5 more shrimp over the past two days so have resigned myself to the possiblity of losing them all slowly over the next week.

jayc

Sorry to hear the losses.

Do more water changes daily. Say about 10%.

Additional water cahnges can't do much more harm.

Tukie

Thanks.  I will keep up with the water changes until no more deaths.  If I lose them all, I'll strip it down and start over.

Eric@Discobee

add some carbon to your filter if you can. it will help soak up any remaining no planaria 

inverted

Not sure if you have resolved this already?

Sounds like you had a lot of unseen planaria that have died in the substrate. The bacteria will eventually take care of them but in the meantime, they will continue to fuel a mini cycle of your tank. Nitrates are quite high despite the water changes which kinda backs that up. There is definitely a lag with shrimp deaths after a pollution event. After watching  a commercial documentary from DPI on  yabby breeding I learned that  invertebrates can get crap in their gills and if it's not flushed asap they go on to slowly die (lack of oxygen I think).I have had this happen before as well....... so this leads me to following suggestions ......

1.Just a one-off big water change 60-80% (do some light surface gravel vacuuming if possible)

2. Increase aeration. Put the top of the internal filter at the water surface so that it breaks the water. Alternatively, add a couple of airstones to achieve the same effect or add an sochting oxydiser ( you could temporarily add hydrogen peroxide which will also increase oxygen levels) 

3. Dont stress :) Its too late for that and you can always rebuild.

I hope these tips help .....lets us know how it goes.

Tukie

Just got back from holidays so was away for almost 2 weeks.  Good news is that it doesn't look like I killed all the shrimp yay!  I see some juveniles now too so it seems there were babies in there that survived also.  I did lose 2 berried females before I went away but I know I have at least one female left in there which is good, I had a high percentage of males to start with so good to know not all is lost.

Thanks for all the help and advice.  Will slowly rebuild from here.

• Like 1

jayc

These No planaria and similar products really should come with instructions to perform a 50% water change on day 2 with gravel vac and increase aeration.

Seeing too many posts of shrimp deaths.

Let's spread the news!

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Pablo
      By Pablo
      Hi guys,
      I need an explanation to what has happened to me ... today, some beautiful Black Panda came home, they were all alive and very active, the water temperature inside the bag was 19.8 degrees Celsius so I started the acclimation with the temperature leaving the bag floating in my tank but open for oxygen exchange (the bag was a breathing bag, is this an issue? It was open…).
      In just 30 minutes the water reached 23.5 degrees (could be this an issue?) so I started with the drip to match the parameters of the water and only half an hour later there was a dead shrimp, after this death all start to die in a period of 2 hours.
      The substrate is Glas Garten (PH 5.8 max), I use Bee Shrimp GH+ (TDS 130 - GH 6), I checked before Ammonia, NH2 and NH3 and all were in zero. The shrimps came with a PH 6.8, GH 6, TDS 155.
      Two weeks ago, I was doing some maintenance in the tank and I broke one small hydrogen thermometer dropping all the small metal balls in the water, so immediately I sucked all the balls with a pipe removing also a big amount of soil. Could this thermometer poison my water? I took some of my Neocaridina shrimps in a bag and I added this water and they look fine, why the pandas died?
      Should I set up the tank again from zero?
      Thanks

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• jayc
      Thanks. It would help determine if there are any signs of disease on them.   In all the time I have kept shrimp, and researching shrimp diseases, I have not actually seen shrimp loosing legs in a shrimp only tank. However, it can be a possibility. If they have a particularly difficult time at moulting, and can rip off their legs during the moulting process. The good news is that shrimp can regrow legs, after moulting a couple of times. The hard part is keeping them healthy long enough till their next moult. What concerns me is that it is happening to more than one. Let's go back to water parameters. Can you list all the parameters you can? Water hardness, and calcium is of particular concern to me. Are you adding any form of calcium to the tank?
    • jswljones
      No fish, just one snail and hard to do macro shots on my old phone. Plus i have no breeder box.. I'll try to see what I can do and get better ones in the morning.
    • jayc
      Do you have fish? We need a Macro shot of the shrimp please. Can't see anything with a zoomed in, with the shrimps on a black background. Put them in a breeder box to photograph them easier.  
    • jswljones
      As my title states, The last few days my cherries have lost some of their legs and one died this morning. Not sure whats going on and my google-fu hasn't turned up anything. Hope you guys can point me in the right direction. I upgraded to a 10 gal from a 2 gal about 3 weeks ago with no problems. I cycled the tank for about 2 weeks before and all are in line. Here are some pictures:  
    • sky99
      Hello, Indeed, there shall be a pH variation depending on the plants that use/release CO2. However, 0.2 is comparable to the measurement error of a pH pen (i bought 2 and average the measures, and generally repeat the measuring 2-3 times if i need something more accurate). Concerning the akadama, the one i bough is Akadama Ibaki, and i think that it is the brand of it, the model is "double hard line". All technical soils will be "used up" at some point, and have to be replaced to get the buffering effect. However, the largest the effect on the water, the faster it will use the chemicals... For the same soil, if you're starting from 8.5 pH water to go to 6, it will probably use faster. In my case, my tap water is pH 7, KH 0 and GH 0, and i get to 6.5 pH, so i expect it to last a long time. If you want to do smaller doses of technical soil to lower "just a little" , i wonder if akadama will be strong enough for that? Or maybe it would simply take a long time to buffer the water to the final value... Anyway, in my case, the main goal is to keep shrimps. Some tanks are scaped, but if the soil "runs out", i'll probably either keep the scape with a population that likes the default water parameters, or redo the tank. But i have 11 tanks so i can move populations around i guess; if you only have this tank i don't know how to proceed... One thing i have noted though : Seyru stone increases the PH to aproximately 8 (again from near RO water parameters : GH/KH at 0, pH 7, TDS at 40), and the effect lasts extremely long (i have tanks with seyru stone that are years old, still the same parameters), so perhaps if we could find a rock that produces acidic water, it would create a long lasting buffer... With the large rock it takes more time than with technical soil to reach the final value, but basically lasts forever...