Welcome to SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum)

Welcome to SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum), like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum) by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

shrimpowneryasmin

Is my shrimp pregnant

shrimpowneryasmin    0
shrimpowneryasmin

Hi I have some freshwater shrimp - I have very little knowledge about shrimp. 

One of the shrimp looks to have eggs inside it but it has been like this for several weeks (I'd say around two months).

I'm completely clueless about shrimp breeding processes but will it lay these eggs and will they hatch?

I've attached a photo of my shrimp.

tPw4C.jpg

revolutionhope    424
revolutionhope

Hi there, the image seems to be blank I'm afraid. Any chance you could try to upload it again? What kind of shrimp is it? Most common shrimps should only hold eggs for up to a month but without seeing the pic or knowing the type I can't offer any more help I'm sorry!

will

shrimpowneryasmin    0
shrimpowneryasmin
10 hours ago, revolutionhope said:

Hi there, the image seems to be blank I'm afraid. Any chance you could try to upload it again? What kind of shrimp is it? Most common shrimps should only hold eggs for up to a month but without seeing the pic or knowing the type I can't offer any more help I'm sorry!

emoji173.pngemoji111.pngemoji445.png
will

The photos won't upload for some reason, I've screenshot and uploaded them:

SyDpwYSxTBuGKSyAFNHdBw.png

sO0VRGUJTj_5toNSr3rCYQ.png

zj-rc0DwRh63gQRRS-dmng.png

Also, my shrimp has been like this for definitely over a month!

Edited by NoGi
Fixed up image embed

revolutionhope    424
revolutionhope

Wow interesting shrimp! Are they a native shrimp from the UK? She does look to be berried to me (carrying eggs).

She looks suspiciously like she has a saddle (more unfertilised eggs) which might mean she is ready to release the eggs under her belly shortly and then moult and be fertilised once again but I could be wrong. I'm most interested to know what type of shrimp it is.

revolutionhope    424
revolutionhope

They might be amano / yamato shrimp. I'm sure someone with a better idea will chime in soon. If it is then they carry eggs for up to 5 weeks.

Unfortunately the babies of amano shrimp require brackish water to survive and are tricky to raise (don't move the mum though!).

They are stunning though well done getting this far :-)

will

NoGi    1,343
NoGi

@shrimpowneryasmin I've fixed up your screenshot ones. You can embed external images by clicking on "Insert other media" and selecting the "Insert image from URL". You need the full path to the image (e.g. https://image.prntscr.com/image/zj-rc0DwRh63gQRRS-dmng.png) in order for it to work.

With the first problem though, it might have been because I was making changes around the same time. Try uploading again and see how it goes.

• Like 1

Madmerv    130
Madmerv

Berried for sure and with what looks like really small eggs so have to agree with @revolutionhope they are likely to be brackish raised shrimpetes.

Couldnt help but think that if you fed them a red coloured food there would be a nice red stripe running through them. Great looking shrimp.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Topics

• pmasa
      Thanks for all the tips @Baccus, the route that i am currently taking is to get a at least on blue adult then separate it with a male/female and go from there. At this stage i am still waiting for them to grow to adult and to make sure that they hold their colour through to adulthood. @revolutionhope i have a feeling that black shrimp start as blue and the colour gets deeper as they get older until the point that it almost looks black. I found when i first opened the parcel with the shrimp that the stressed state caused more of the underlying blue to come out, before darkening again. I currently have 4 tanks at my disposal for shrimp, however i would like to get into the caridinas and devote a tank to them... As an aside i have found that the 3 females (+1 reddish male) in my 60L community tank are significantly larger than those in their own tanks, i am wondering if the slightly warmer temperature and significantly more abundant food is playing a role in the size.
    • EBC
      It was Fluval Shrimp Stratum which I have learned tends to have a relatively short life span compared to other soils. Will probably just replace it all in about 6 months when I move again. Any recommendations for one that will last the longest? And one that I can actually buy in Australia? But yes, I imagine that she was just weak from the pH swings from before. The three remaining males all seem perfectly healthy for now at least. I'll give it some time to make sure there are no more deaths and then maybe find a nice female to add. I have seen varying opinions on this, but how often would you suggest doing water changes (standard, not emergency) on a small tank like mine (28L)? I was doing them pretty infrequently before (~monthly; 20%) as I was using tap water so I wanted to avoid too many. Now that I will have an RO system would ~10% weekly be better? Or something else? Thanks again.
    • KillieOrCory
      Nice. Look forward to seeing the progress. I am too impatient to start from scratch but the challenge seems worthwhile to attempt.
    • revolutionhope
      When you added soil can I ask what soil it was ? Did you pre-cycle it? Also it's worth noting that if that shrimp had been through some stress while exposed to high pH they will have weakened immune systems and so other little issues can tip them over the edge.   More than once I've discovered problems and corrected them as carefully as I could only to still watch the occasional shrimp die over the following days and weeks still despite conditions being ideal I believe.   will     PS Just as an aside - ¥others will have different opinions and prefer to do multiple smaller waterchanges but my modus operandi when I feel that a tank is "stuffed" is to do one or two huuuuuuge waterchanges - carefully allowing the new water to drip in slowly over 24-48 hours and then leave it be. The three times now that I've done this to get myself out of a bad spot I have found that although some already weak shrimp may continue to pass away over the following days even up to 2 or 3 weeks later but the healthier ones bounce back quickly and are breeding already within a few weeks.
    • EBC
      No real updates unfortunately. All water parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, KH, GH, pH) were perfect on the day she died. All I can think is that the lack of buffering capacity left in the soil resulted in pH swings that killed her.  I added more soil and the water is back to being buffered at pH 6.4. I have switched to only using RO water now (bought 20L for now but have an RO unit on the way). Hopefully the substrate will buffer a bit longer now and this won't happen again. Just a shame as there are only 3 adult male CRS left in the tank plus the shrimplets from the female that just died. Could be a while before the numbers get back up on their own so I may need to replenish them (also a bit of genetic diversity would be good). How do people usually handle switching out substrate? Especially with baby shrimps around, that sounds like a real hassle and you are bound to lose some. Is there some special technique? Thanks!
  • Featured Products

• Recent Articles