Yellow Neos? - Please I.D.

travellife

I think these two are neocaridina var. yellow, one is berried. I just purchased them recently without identification. I haven't had shrimp with an opaque carapace before. Is it normal for there to be areas that are darker colored and more translucent? Can the shrimp lose their opaque coloration from brushing against the substrate? 72f6c4c9fc4a8ab6ef390ac10a21af07.jpgb4b95dfb24247784125f109aad33702a.jpg

I'd say they are definitely Neos!

Yellow Caridinas that I've seen are completely translucent, unless they have random coloration on their shells, which would be white or black, in most cases. They also have extremely long antennae as compared to Neos.

It's possible they come from the "Goldenback" yellow shrimp line, thus having opaque coloration. "Neon" yellows on the other hand should be mostly, if not completely, translucent.

• HOF Member

First picture Caridina second picture Neocaridina - hope that helpsimage.thumb.jpeg.d26117b54c43bfdf45cdceaf97db7a0e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b7049b41b3c3342cf3f607862695b9d9.jpeg

Hi Zoidburg. Yes I agree they do seem like they're a Goldenback variety. The color is what I'd call a chalky, buttery yellow. The opaqueness is translucent in a few areas, almost as though it rubs off where the shrimp rubs against the substrate. I think they may both be female with my limited knowledge of determining the sex. Something about the 1st "scale" being roundish?

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

You could say that females have a "skirt" where-as males are straight. They are both rather large and "colorful". Males tend to be smaller and, where applicable, less colorful.

ximage-da96f65255defa0a8b9f19779252c673_

• Like 1

Yeah looks like 2 female yellow Neos to me.