Clicky

Notshrimpboy

Effects from crushed coral and high GH

Notshrimpboy

I have several 10G tanks of crystal shrimps. In 2 of the tanks, I am using Fluval substrate. The others, I am using Flourite. RO water is used with a mineralizer with lots of plants in all the tanks (java fern, java moss, pelia). The pH=6.6, TDS=145 kH=1. Last year, I found that pH was drifting low so I added a teaspoon of crushed coral. That stabilized the pH at 6.6-6.8. Then I noticed that gH was increased from 4 to about 7-8. Even though the shrimps seem to be doing fine, they stopped breeding. The females were seldom berried. Even when a female become berried, she loses them before she carries to term. Has anyone have this experience of high gH causing infertility in crystal shrimp? Or, is this simply coincidental and the infertility is caused by something else. I would like to learn from your experience before I take out the crushed coral. Thanks for your help.

Zoidburg

I've heard that crystal shrimp babies thrive better in lower GH where-as the adults do better in higher GH... which is more of a difference between 3 GH and maybe 6 GH, at the highest... and seems contradictory to me.

Based on pH guidelines for Crystals, anything below 5.8-6.0 would be too low, so you may want to consider removing the crushed coral, if you can, and start working on doing small and slow water changes to get the GH back down to at least 5.

Notshrimpboy

Thank you to Zoidburg. I have taken the crushed coral out and will start making incremental water changes.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• pastu
      Going back to culling , i would like to point out that removing too large a proportion of the colony you wish to improve , gets  your there faster , but you reach a point of no further progress for lack of genetic variability.  I tend to cull the worst 20% of my colony once a month and observe a slow steady improvement. Hopefully my colony will continue to improve Long into the future. I have learnt about population genetics when i was interested in breeding fancy fowl, and kept up to date now that i am interested in shrimps and horses. The laws are the same.the greater the breeding population and the lower the percentage that is removed from reproducción, the healtier and more prolific will remain and the further the progress in recombining desirable caracters. A severe rate of culling makes your population very homogenous early on and improvement stops
    • Wolf92s
      I'm still new to the hobby but they kinda look like other post (could be wrong, but he called them glass shrimp)
      https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https://skfaquatics.com/forum/topic/11301-what-kind-of-shrimp-are-these/&share_tid=11301&share_fid=50791&share_type=t

For the last pic it looks like a pinocchio shrimp (Caridina gracilirostris).

Maybe someone will correct me. Sorry couldn't help anymore.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

• jayc
      Newer A/C units now have auto on/off features. Maybe it's time for an upgrade @Zoidburg 😁 The things we do for our shrimp!
    • jayc
      @Zoidburg, happy to do that for you. Moved.
    • Zoidburg
      @jayc Would it help at all to move this thread to General Questions/Discussions? Still looking for ideas on what these guys may be.