Welcome JoM

JoM

SKF Aquatics (Shrimp Keepers Forum) welcomes JoM.

Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

View Member

regards,
skfadmin

Edit: I realise now there's probably a more appropriate place for these questions. I might still leave them here for now before I reach out elsewhere.

Hello, I'm new to the shrimp world and I'm going to jump right in with some questions. I'm in the process of deciding if I want to stick with my 30 litre round tank that hasn't been used in a few years, or start with a brand new square tank. So obviously I'm not ready for a shrimp colony yet, but as a start I'd like to know a few things. I'm happy to chat with people about these questions but I'd also like to be pointed in the right direction to do my own research.

First of all, I know shrimp like moss and algae, what else do they like in the way of live plants?

Secondly, I'd like to keep more than one variety in the same tank if possible. I know cherry shrimp of different colours will interbreed, so I'm looking to keep blue cherry shrimp with either pinto's or crystal shrimp, probably in red. Are they compatible? Where will I find the best info on the needs of both breeds?

Lastly, I wouldn't mind keeping some fish with them. Obviously they have to be small mouths and not be predators and I know that no matter how small their mouths, they will probably still eat any baby shrimp should my colony breed. Which fish, if any, are recommended? 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by JoM

30 minutes ago, JoM said:

30 litre round tank that hasn't been used in a few years, or start with a brand new square tank

That would be entirely your choice, but personally I prefer square or rectangular tanks.

I know shrimp like moss and algae, what else do they like in the way of live plants?

They don't mind what type of plants you use in the tank. As long as there are lots of hiding places for when they moult and are about to drop shrimplets. The thick growth that mosses provide is a great place for them to hide in. And when the shrimplets are born/hatched, they usually hide in moss and find food in them.

I'm looking to keep blue cherry shrimp with either pinto's or crystal shrimp, probably in red. Are they compatible?

Yes that should be fine. Cherry and either CRS or Pintos can be in the same tank without interbreeding.

Which fish, if any, are recommended? 

I wouldn't recommend any fish with shrimps. But if you decide to go down that path and are aware of the risks with fish & shrimp, then go with small fish. Try to introduce the fish after the shrimp have had some time in the tank and have found their hiding spots.

Here are some examples of possibly compatible fish.

•  Pseudomugil Gertrudae lampeyes, 
  • Dwarf rasbora - Boraras maculatus,
  • Celestial Pearl danios,
  • Ottos,
  • Endler guppies,
  • White cloud minnows. 

But research the parameters the fish require and match them to your tank's parameters. 

There might be other fish that people can recommend, but the list is not a guarantee that the fish won't snack on shrimps. 

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

Welcome @JoM. As per the norm @jayc nailed it. I cannot really add anything to what he has stated. Welcome to the community and hobby. One word of warning : Most shrimpers develop a costly disease known as MTS ( Multiple tank syndrome ) Proceed with caution, Stuff it ! Have fun :)