Shipping in extreme weather

revolutionhope

It's bloody hot in Adelaide at the moment and the heat has prompted me to ask about summer shipping of aquatic animals!

Does anyone know how hot (or how cold in winter) auspost express storage facilities, post offices and delivery vans can get?

I'd also love to hear of any experience sending/receiving fish or shrimp using coldpacks or heatpacks and how this is done.

I don't know if coldpacks would do anything by the time the following day rolls around but there are some that do use them. If a coldpack is placed inside the foam box it might cool the shrimp too much initially; but if strapped outside I'd have to guess that it would be warm by the time the next day rolls around. (Still I have heard of this being done!)

Given auspost propensity to take 2 or more days to deliver overnight services I am nervous about buying or selling anything other than cherries at the moment.. ALL input is welcome. Cheers!

[emoji173] [emoji111]

Will

• Like 1

My experience with cold weather shipping: I was not sure if I should ask the breeder to ship them, but when above 5c it was no problem at all he told me. So lets do it. The temperature was around 5 - 8 celcius that period. He packed the shrimp in a double bag with 50% water, in a foam box with the heatpack taped to the side (should not touch the bag with shrimp else they get 'boiled'). Shipping took 2 days.

When they arrived the temperature of the water was still 14c. I put them in a room and measured it took about 5 hours till the water became the room temperature of 20c. Then I put the bag in the tank and in about half an hour is became 22c. I took another 2 hours to slowly add water into the bag and them released them in the tank.

They survived the first week. After a month I still count 7 out of 10 of them most of the time, but it could be possible they all are alive since it's a 100l tank with a lot of green.

So it's possible for sure, shrimp can handle this when they are packed firmly.

They other way around (hot temperatures) I have no experience, but I would prefer cold over hot, since a box in the sun is game over in not time I imagine.

• Like 1

I have posted in winter at temps ard 7 degrees and summer ard 34+ degrees. I have not had any complaints about dead shrimp when I used to do it. I didnt use any heat pack or cooling packs but I always added extra shrimp.

I just pack my foam boxes full or cotton wool and bubble wrap lol not for any particular reason but I just imagine it insulates the shrimp more.

Now I stop selling during the summer peak and wait till the temps are ard 30 and wait till the temp are ard 10+ for winter.

• Like 1

I packed everything the same way from my cherries to my Blue Bolts.

Before I used to send whenever but now I Stop during the middle of summer and winter but I have only been contact a few time about DOA and the extra have been enough to cover them but it could also mean some ppl didnt bother reporting DOA to me.

1 minute ago, revolutionhope said:

Thanks@shrimpmaster :-)@Disciple - not your renowned bluebolts???!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Disciple said:

extra have been enough to cover them

That's why adding a few extra shrimp to your sale is a good idea.

It is not only good for customer relations but it avoids additional costs of reshipping. 

16 minutes ago, jayc said:

It is not only good for customer relations but it avoids additional costs of reshipping. 

Hear that @revolutionhope ? You should send me extra !! ^_^

I agree with this I've always sent extras.
Hear that @revolutionhope ? You should send me extra !! ^_^

I'll consider it :-)

Within reason @Jarad and @revolutionhope, of course.

If you bought 10 shrimp, and the seller sends 12. But 2 arrive dead, then you still got the 10 you purchased and have no grounds for asking for 2 replacements. Think of it as shipping insurance from a sellers point of view and good will gesture from the buyers point of view.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, revolutionhope said:

I agree with this I've always sent extras.
I'll consider it :-)

I want 14million cbs and crs kthanks <3

Edited by Jarad
I em dum et spalling

I want 14million cbs and crs kthanks

Sure I'll just release a few colonies into some local waterways not!
  • Like 1