Disciples Small Rack

Disciple

20160915_125005.jpg20160915_125013.jpgJust a teaser for my next set up. 

Further information will be added in future posts

Edited by Disciple
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

20161127_193706.jpg

Tanks will be deliverd in the next 10days so i did a bit of shopping. Can't wait to get it set up and going.

• Like 4

Meanwhile, can you go through the items you have bought in the pic? Curious to know what you have there.

I have the following:

Under gravel filters for 4 tanks.

Power house soil

Power house media

4 ss pipes

Hiblow 40

Ehiem water pump

2 3foot lights

speedsand

Microlive

Thats it. Waiting on the chiller and tanks now.

26 minutes ago, jc12 said:

What will you be stocking? PRLs? Yes??? :)

But that would ruin the suprise.

I have been searching for different shrimp that i want. I am now 90% sure what i will get ?

Edited by Disciple

SS pipes going to be used with the chiller?? Cause it's got some weird curves in them to be for normal intake \ outtake.

Why did you go with t5 lights instead of LED? Singapore not hot enough already?

Are you getting shrimps from that shop we visited at the factory place on level 3? Have you been back to that shop? It was still newly open at that time... would be keen to see how it is now. :)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jc12 said:

Are you getting shrimps from that shop we visited at the factory place on level 3?

Do tell. What is the name and address?

• Like 1

I think the curved ss pipes are the under gravel filter

Well i was way off haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, jayc said:

SS pipes going to be used with the chiller?? Cause it's got some weird curves in them to be for normal intake \ outtake.

Why did you go with t5 lights instead of LED? Singapore not hot enough already?

Yes the ss pipes will be used with the chiller in a closed circuit. The curves are to increase the surface area. I will update you guys how effective they are.

The t5 were the ones available so i just got it. 

2 hours ago, jc12 said:

Are you getting shrimps from that shop we visited at the factory place on level 3? Have you been back to that shop? It was still newly open at that time... would be keen to see how it is now. :)

1 hour ago, jayc said:

Do tell. What is the name and address?

The shop is Fishy Business Elements found at 96 Jalan Senang. Its a very nice shop with a great set up but I haven't been back since we went. I probably buy some plants and moss from there but was disappointed with their customer service after i was told to email them about a set up and they never replied.

• 2 weeks later...

My tank were delivered and installed today. Finally!! ??????

20161206_114311.jpg20161206_114914.jpg20161206_114917.jpg20161206_114922.jpg

I'll give it a quick clean and fill it up to make sure there are no leaks. Afterwards I will set everything up and start the cycle. 

• Like 1

Nice mate.

I have to ask, what are the half height dividers for? 

Got to love it when a complete setup is getting close to being filled. Cycling the system is going to drive you nuts..Lol.

On 12/7/2016 at 3:06 AM, Madmerv said:

Nice mate.

I have to ask, what are the half height dividers for? 

Got to love it when a complete setup is getting close to being filled. Cycling the system is going to drive you nuts..Lol.

Hello Merv,

Welcome to SKFA.

The half height dividers are for the Under gravel filters. This setup is what the Taiwanese and Singapore breeders use and I have been wanting to try it out. I hope to document everything so if other people want to try it they can.

It have been a bit frustrating the last few months. I had planned to have a set up running a lot earlier but there was quite a few unexpected things that has come up so I had to delay but now its full steam ahead.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Slow and steady is my excuse.

I have the tanks full of water for the last week to make sure there were no leaks and now they have been drained so i can set everything up.

Cut the under gravel filters to size and they fit like a glove!

Also check out my RO unit lol

Hopefully I'll start the cycle by next Christmas if I am lucky ???

20161219_214331.jpg20161219_214440.jpg20161219_214501.jpg20161219_214539.jpg20161219_214735.jpg

Next update i will set up my airpump and hopefully some other fun stuff lol

20161219_214637.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Update for my set up.

Set up the air pump made a closed circuit with pvc piping, drilled holes and stuck in some air valves. Working really well but in the future i would probably try make it from irrigation piping.

20161221_162510.jpg20161221_163950.jpg20161221_164512.jpg20161221_181658.jpg20170101_201634.jpg

Change the media in the biospon filters and used the power house.

Added power house media on top of the ugf.

Added soil and water and switched the filters on. The cycle has begun.20170101_201902.jpg20161229_211106.jpg20161229_211119.jpg20170101_111314.jpg20170101_111338.jpg20170101_201745.jpg20170103_184331.jpg20170103_193818.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Finally the water parameters are good. I am doing a final 90% water change and I have turned on the chiller.

Next weekend I get to go shrimp shopping. Wooohoooooooo

20170205_113907.thumb.jpg.00a79f3b40db4f1b9d79c102f39a962f.jpg20170205_200122.thumb.jpg.19110b869244444a573e058d3ab91c9f.jpg20170205_200135.thumb.jpg.ec3fc39e6bcbaf365fb3195bb987cbdd.jpg

• Like 1

Ok no offense to people who do stuff low budget, but i LOVE to see someone throw in some bucks and create something professional concerning to design and hardware. Look great!

Also still strange for me to see (it's about -2c around here now, and that almost feels like warm this time of the year for me) that you need a cooler to keep a normal temperature for shrimp :D.

Looking forward to new updates the coming weeks/month.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shrimpmaster said:

Also still strange for me to see (

You are just lucky that you live in a cold climate country.  A lot of us especially in Australia is sweltering through heart wave Temps at the moment. Temps are in the high 30's, it was 40+°C yesterday.  and it has been like this for many days in a row. If it wasn't for my chillers, the tanks world be 30+ °C.

Disciple is also living in a country that is constantly hot ,  so chillers are a must. On the other hand,  he won't need to use heaters.

But yeah,  i wish this heat would go away. 

• Like 3

Yeah and I don't get to see my shrimps on hot days because the tank will be covered in condensation and I can't see through the glass without wiping it off... for like every 2 mins. Haha.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I always thought people in warm countries use the airco. But I guess you won't keep the airco running all day long, must be quite expensive. So indeed the chillers are a good solution!

Back on topic: I like the space below the soil. I wish I have done this, but do you have a way to suck the water from there? In my next big setup (some day) I want to do it like that, but also an option to to a water change, by removing the water from there and that way remove the dreg right away.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2017 at 2:14 AM, Shrimpmaster said:

Ok no offense to people who do stuff low budget, but i LOVE to see someone throw in some bucks and create something professional concerning to design and hardware. Look great!

Also still strange for me to see (it's about -2c around here now, and that almost feels like warm this time of the year for me) that you need a cooler to keep a normal temperature for shrimp :D.

Looking forward to new updates the coming weeks/month.

Compared to the amount of money I spent on my second set up this has been cheaper and I can keep more shrimp in it which is a win win for me lol. This is the first time I have used this kind of set up so it has been a bit of a learning curve. Now I know what I need to do to improve it as this was just for me to learn how to keep shrimp in these new conditions. I moved to Singapore about 7 months ago. 

I also believe to get the best out of your shrimp you need to spend a bit of money on decent equipment. As Jayc mentioned earlier in the journal I should have got LEDs lights. The heat generated from the t5 are a pain already lol.

During the cycle my tanks sat at between 29 to 31 degree lol which was great. I did not need a heater at all lol. I think I would freeze to death where you live. Once it got down to 1 degree in and I couldnt get out of bed lol

On 2/12/2017 at 6:22 AM, jayc said:

You are just lucky that you live in a cold climate country.  

Agreed lol But I guess it costs a lot to heat all the tanks instead of cooling.

22 hours ago, Shrimpmaster said:

I always thought people in warm countries use the airco. But I guess you won't keep the airco running all day long, must be quite expensive. So indeed the chillers are a good solution!

Back on topic: I like the space below the soil. I wish I have done this, but do you have a way to suck the water from there? In my next big setup (some day) I want to do it like that, but also an option to to a water change, by removing the water from there and that way remove the dreg right away.

You are also correct with the aircon statement. Currently I live with my inlaws as I wait for my apartment to be ready. I was too impatient to wait till my new home was ready so they let me have a small space for a rack unfortunately I can not leave the air con on 24/7. So I got some advise from keepers in Singapore and showed how to chill multiple tank with one chiller.

Yes I can stick airline through the tubes (where the airstone sits) all the way under the UGF.. I believe it may be possible to put a bulkhead next to or under the UGF to help do water changes. I will try ask some people if they had done this before and if there are any pros and cons.

• Like 1