Bit of advise please

Madmerv

Hi All

Need some advise on acclimatization times. Just got back from my first field trip to collect some WA glass natives. It was a spur of the moment thing with a comedy of errors that really needs to be told over a few beers.

Anyway it was mildly successful with a bucket of river water and 5 shrimp making it back to my house. On the way home i stopped in and borrowed a high quality TDS meter to keep a check on the bucket water while i drip it from my pond. Checking the pond i get 200ppm which makes sense as my tap is 270ppm and the pond is being diluted with the recent rains. Checking the river water i get a whopping 4200ppm. Very surprising because i know this river has been flowing strongly for at least 6 weeks, bursting it's banks several times, and is not in a tidal area. I made a call to an old bloke i know who has been in the water game in that area for a lot of years and confirmed that over 4000ppm is high for winter but is good for that system if it was summer.

So, how long should i take to drip the bucket from 4200ppm down to 200ppm? 24 hours? 2 days? 4 days?

Will the shrimp from a naturally salty river system even survive in 200ppm water?

Should i just take them back and let them swim free?

Any advise would be good.

Merv

Brackish water is between TDS 1000-5000 ppm.

So that is brackish water you got those glass shrimps from.

1 hour ago, Madmerv said:

So, how long should i take to drip the bucket from 4200ppm down to 200ppm?

As long as it takes. Don't know unfortunately.

I've transitioned shrimp from brackish to fresh, but where I got them they were naturally in both fresh water and brackish where the creek met the ocean. I kept them in a small tank in the water I collected them in and over 2 weeks I took out some of their water and added rainwater as that's what was in the tank I had in mind for them. I started with 30 and lost maybe 4-5 once they were in full rainwater. To date none have berried so not sure how happy they are. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of an update as it has been almost a month.

All of the shrimp are doing well in a Betta tank we had spare. I have been slowly bringing the TDS down so they can be introduced to the pond by adding some rain water every few days. At about 180ppm now but the pond has gone down to 70ppm so i still have a bit to go.

Got some photo's this morning of these big eyed shrimp. Colour is a bit off as the water is tanin soaked but i love the gold fleck in these.

_MG_4166_zpslqfoufax.jpg

_MG_4177_zpstj85qfg0.jpg

_MG_4187_zpsgabmzblx.jpg

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, fishmosy said:

Nice shrimp.

Thanks

Now they are more settled the colour is coming out and they are getting more active in the tank. I'm trying real hard to find a super bargain 3 foot tank with a stand so we can set it up under the pergola and keep a few, or collect some more, for a WA biotope. I'm actually liking the rich dark water look of the tank they are in although it is tiny.

• Like 1