Walnut hookup

revolutionhope

Just thought I'd share a snap of some shrimpies 458b74b902f473a8d52f7a3c832d2ad4.jpghaving a munch on a walnut leaf.

I had posted a while ago asking if they were safe to feed but have since read in breeders and keepers magazine that plenty of European breeders use them as a staple.

Mine have migrated across from a mulberry leaf so they must think they're alright! :-)

Love n peace

Will

• Like 2

10 hours ago, revolutionhope said:

Mine have migrated across from a mulberry leaf so they must think they're alright! :-)

So yours prefer the walnut?  Are both of yours dried leaves?

So yours prefer the walnut?  Are both of yours dried leaves?

Both picked as dried out leaves &/or fallen leaves then soaked a while in tank water. They have all but demolished the walnut leaf overnight leaving mostly just a membrane and now a couple are back into the mulberry leaf.

I guess I wouldn't say conclusively that they prefer walnut leaves until I've seen this happen again. Maybe it's just something that they preferred on this occassion due to their dietary needs. But in any case I'm in no doubt that walnut leaves are a hit for sure! :-)

Love n peace

Will

1b538059125b5534f067a4c99aa906b7.jpg

• HOF Member

It's good to get them to have variety -it's not so good if your shrimp are hooked on one food as if that becomes unavailable they will go hungry for a little while. Mine were given Nasturtium leaves again for the first time this year and swarmed over them- they were gone overnight too. 

• Like 2

Thanks @ineke that's another one to add to the list, walnut leaves. I wonder if you can use the walnut shells as shelters as well?

Tried with cherries now they aren't taking to it so far but they've never fancied the mulberry leaves as much as my crs either.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

@zn30 I would probably recommend against using walnut shells in the tank. They're quite toxic and will leach their goodies into the water for ages compared to a relatively low-volume leaf. 

BTW I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with walnut leaves, we've established safety with both fresh green and dried leaves. Just that the shells are a potential risk. 

It may interest readers that most if not all the leaves we prefer to use are considered toxic at some level.