Summer Heat Remindr

BlueBolts

Hi fellow Shrimplovers,

Just a reminder for the pre-caution to take, during our hot summer periods..

1. Shrimps are temp sensitive - ensure tank temp does not exceed 25 degrees for CRS/CBS & 27 degrees for Cherries. Short burst of temps +/- 1-3 degrees, doesn't do too much damage, BUT definitely in the danger zone. Personally, my tanks for CRS/CBS & Cherries are kept at 23 degrees.

2. Shrimp are O2 Sensitive - ensure tank is well oxygenated. During HOT/Humid days, if your shrimps seems lethargic and gasping at the surface, create more surface agitation via air pump...etc. I have the sochting oxidation in all my tanks, and lots of surface agitation.....

3. Water Change - During hot periods, I tend to do a 10-20% water change weekly, even bi-weekly, to freshen up the tank.

4. Emergency - I have Nitrazorb & Active Carbon on standby at all times, plus a small hang on filter, for easy & quick hook ups. Never never know when it's needed .... spike in Nitrates....

5. Lights - For those hobbyist not using LED's, shorten your light period, as they do emit heat

6. Filters - Keep you filters clean & fresh, this should happen at all times, but I find that the filters work harder during summer. I rinse out my sponge/media every 4-6 weeks.

Even with chillers, where the tanks theoretically maintains the set temp (say 23 degrees), during summer, the temp range in the tank can go from 23-25 before the chiller kicks in, whereas during winter, the temp tank will range from 21-23, before the heater kick in....so there's a 2-4 degrees difference during the season, so the bioload/activity of the tank does increase during summer, causing the filter to work harder.

Trust this thread will help remind us of the extra steps we need to observe & take during the HOT days/weeks ....

:D