Collecting leaves etc. For food

Happy-pitbull

So Im very interested in providing a varied diet to my shrimp, and the more items I can collect from nature myself, the better. 

I have gotten local mulberry leaves and alder cones, both of which the shrimp love. But are there preferred times of year for harvesting these?  I got both these items within the last month here in Nova Scotia Canada. 

Also I have been wanting to try other types of leaves but Im not 100% certain what types are ok to feed, and if they can be picked at any time or not. I recently collected some Maple leaves but have yet to feed them for 1, I read somewhere they should only be picked in the fall?, and 2 , Im not sure how to prepare them ( fresh, dried or frozen) .

And are there other types of leaves I can feed?  Oak, Red Maple, Birch?   

Thanks in advance :) 

Most leaves are okay to feed shrimp. I have personally fed leaves from Oak, Birch, Mango, Passionfruit leaves, Hibiscus. Wash and blanch like you would Mulberry leaves.

Some leaves are oily like our Eucalyptus trees, so they are best used dried. 

Any leaves with a lot of Sap need to be dried. 

Other alternatives to leaves are flowers. I wrote an article here listing some examples and the benefits.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

I bought a white mulberry tree today from Bunnings, $9.95, it's only small about 28cms at the moment, it can grow to 8 meters tall if planted out, this one will be in a larger pot to control its growth. Bought it for my shrimps LOL ?

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• sdlTBfanUK
      It has been a few weeks now and I have done a couple of large water changes. I tested the water parameters this morning, GH6 and KH2, TDS 140 and PH 7.5. Obviously the PH is off but there isn't anything in the tank that should cause the PH to rise to this figure so I will just run the tank for another month with 10% weekly water changes (probably just with RO water) and see where we are at that point. The RO water tests at PH6, and the KH and GH in the tank could come down as they are at the upper limits for Caridina shrimps! There are only about 10 very small snails in there at this point, but they seem to be doing well enough.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I believe these to be very rare in Australia so you may even consider making it a longer term plan and produce your own by starting with the best CRS you can get as that is where the pure lines started! Depends how patient and interested in the project you are, but would save money as well? If I recall correctly it takes from 8 generations of selective breeding? They sell them at micro aquatic shop but do not ship to Western Australia, but that means they are available in Australia. https://microaquaticshop.com.au/products/pure-red-line-grade-ss-shrimp Good luck and just maybe smeone on here may point you in the right direction or be able to supply you with some.
    • Jimmy
      Hi Guys,  Does anyone know where to buy PRL shrimps in WA, not the CRS please. Thanks Regards  
    • Subtlefly
      Yes it’s super accurate to position where I want now and stay there- I am satisfied.  All the fish and shrimpers are doing excellent! Coming up on 4 years running!
    • sdlTBfanUK
      You must be pleased with that, it looks better and is much more robust and less likely to damage or leaks! The tank looks very natural now it has been running for a time. I see the ember tetras, how are the blue shrimp doing, I see a few? The cat and dog look very content and unimpressed, lol.