brand new to shrimp :-)

roscoeb

HI

I am brand new to shrinmps and have just started cycling my new 17 Litre (4.5 US Gallon) shrimp tank. I have piece of Driftwood and some weeping moss in there.

http://www.majesticaquariums.com.au/aquariums/aqua-one-aquariums/xpression/xpression-17-nano-aquarium-26w-x-26d-x-275cm-h.html

I was wondering if someone could tell me the Water Parameters I should aim for with shrimp.

I have a planted fish tank and understand the nitrogen cycle.

Thanks

Roscoeb

Hi @roscoeb,

What shrimp are you planning on keeping? What substrate did you get? For soft water shrimp you might require volcanic shrimp soil to keep the pH down...

Below is a cool chart for dwarf shrimp types with approximate parameters so that you can get an approximate indication of environment:

http://www.discobee.com/blogs/news/17030569-dwarf-shrimp-water-parameters

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roscoeb said:

could tell me the Water Parameters I should aim for with shrimp

Apart from knowing what shrimp you are planning on keeping it would really be helpful to know what water parameters you currently have in your tank.

pH

GH, KH 

TDS and

Temperature are the most critical ones.

Hi

Thanks for your replies :-)

I am considering starting with Red Cherry Shrimp, as I've read they are a good beginners Shrimp.

My tank her been cycling for a week today with Nutrafin Cycle.

The parameters tonight are : Ph 6.4; Ammonia 0.25; Nitrite 0;Nitrate 5; Kh 3; Gh 4; Phosphate 0.

The temp in the tank is varying between 26.7 to 28 C

My local water contains chloramines so I always register 0.25 Ammonia. I have been assured by the local Aquarium that this is usual for around here.

Thanks

Roscoeb

Edited by roscoeb
forgot to include temp in post
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, roscoeb said:

The parameters tonight are : Ph 6.4; Ammonia 0.25; Nitrite 0;Nitrate 5; Kh 3; Gh 4; Phosphate 0.

Don't bother altering parameters until the cycle is complete, as the parameters will keep changing with a cycling tank.

Once you have no ammonia and nitrites, look at raising pH up to near 7.0. You can do that with treated tap water or a small handful of coral chips. Report back with your water parameters again after cycling is complete, and we will have a better idea of what needs changing.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1