how many did you first start with?

Mitch91

okay just wondering when you first got your crs shrimp how many did you start with to build to the colony amount you have now?

• HOF Member

I started with about 20 and over 3 years just left them to breed without culling or selling - not recommended culling is very important to keep the quality up.- I ended up with about 1000 I guess - I did end up giving quite a few away at one time - now I have scaled right back and will probably only keep 12 or so of the best and cull out any low grades that might show up. Keeping 1or 2 really good males helps to keep the grades up, cull all other males and keep the best females. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

my first lot i started with 5-7 then they died when we bombed for cochroaches lol.

If your buying juveniles i would say atleast buy 10 so you got a good chance of get a female or 2 

32 minutes ago, ineke said:

I started with about 20 and over 3 years just left them to breed without culling or selling - not recommended culling is very important to keep the quality up.- I ended up with about 1000 I guess - I did end up giving quite a few away at one time - now I have scaled right back and will probably only keep 12 or so of the best and cull out any low grades that might show up. Keeping 1or 2 really good males helps to keep the grades up, cull all other males and keep the best females. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

wow 1000 thats alot sure would add some nice colour to a tank. yeah i plan to cull just as my population builds up some more.

11 minutes ago, OzShrimp said:

my first lot i started with 5-7 then they died when we bombed for cochroaches lol.

If your buying juveniles i would say atleast buy 10 so you got a good chance of get a female or 2 

haha. yeah i got 12 to start i already know theres a few females in the mix :D

On 11 May 2016 at 0:29 PM, Mitch91 said:

wow 1000 thats alot sure would add some nice colour to a tank. yeah i plan to cull just as my population builds up some more.

haha. yeah i got 12 to start i already know theres a few females in the mix :D

What size tank do you house your CRS in?

• HOF Member

I had them in an oversize 3 foot tank an Aqua 0ne 980 which holds 215 litres, it had a large canister and 4 double sponge filters. I now use this for my TB colony with an extra canister added to it.

thanks for that, i have mine in a 4foot atm but i am thinking of going down to a smaller tank, ive heard that water quality is harder to maintain though in a smaller tank.

• HOF Member

Basically depends on your routine maintainance I think. I prefer 24 " tanks for my breeding tanks , they hold a good amount of water, give the shrimp room to move and the WP's remain fairly stable including temperature. Others use smaller sections in bigger tanks. I have used 30cm cubes with success but temperature swings can be a problem. Good filtration and stable conditions are the main criteria I think. Good water movement so you don't get still areas in corners, just make sure the shrimp have hiding places to get out of the the water movement to graze.

Started with 20, 5 weeks ago and waiting for berrys to appear, defiantly have a few males pestering the females after their molted, still waiting. Housed in an aqua one 900 tank (half round). 

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/06/2016 at 5:37 AM, MonsterNelson said:

Started with 4 juvies in a planted 2ft tank... pretty much played wheres wally every day.

Definitely not fun playing that game lol. U will love it when ur numbers pop

• Like 1

On 11 May 2016 at 11:56 AM, ineke said:

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

@ineke I have been seeing the white flakes in your pictures and others for some time and was wondering what it actually is. Please advise my guess is food of some kind, thanks.

• HOF Member

Yes that is Shrimp Snow. It is a soya bean waste product and although not particularly nutritious in itself it is the micro bacteria that grows on it that the shrimp graze on. It is safe to leave in the tank rather than having to take out any leftovers like a lot of  other foods. It's great for holiday food too. It's available from Boss Aquaria and New breed Aquatics.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ineke said:

Yes that is Shrimp Snow. It is a soya bean waste product and although not particularly nutritious in itself it is the micro bacteria that grows on it that the shrimp graze on. It is safe to leave in the tank rather than having to take out any leftovers like a lot of  other foods. It's great for holiday food too. It's available from Boss Aquaria and New breed Aquatics.

Thanks @ineke thought it might be I haven't tried it myself however I will be getting some in the next order from @newbreed later this week. Thanks for the info and its uses.

• Like 2

I've never tried CRS due to them being a little more fiddly than other species but I keep about 100 or so RCS, rilli and Caridina sp in a 30L planted tank and they thrive. I started this tank with about 20 RCS, 10 Rilli and 3 Caridina (I had more in a community tank but they didn't do well in there)

Hitting winter and I've got about 10 buried so they must be happy.

I've got an air stone powered sponge filter and a small hob filter on it but that's all. The plants do most of the work.

I change about 4L of water once a week. (Icecream container) then fish the babies out and put them back in the tank.

8f3a45aeb51d31739bd34a81395d0ba4.jpg

0421c30ce47b04a28d575baac32e0c71.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 13 May 2016 at 0:37 AM, zn30 said:

Started with 20, 5 weeks ago and waiting for berrys to appear, defiantly have a few males pestering the females after their molted, still waiting. Housed in an aqua one 900 tank (half round). 

Just quoted myself, this is a quick update finally the shrimplets are hatching and the first lot are getting their stripes it's a case of where's Wally attaching ourselves to the front of the aquarium with a magnifying glass stuck to our eye. Wondering what the poor shrimp think of the large eye looking in! We were lucky enough to watch one of the females help her shrimplets to hatch and swim off. 

My CRS clan started with 15 and would have been up to around 600 at most! At any given time!

This was a standard three foot tank, fairly well planted!! Took a good eighteen months to get to best breeding rates!

conv_3712.jpghowmany (4).JPGIMG_5723.JPGimage.jpgimage.jpg

Sadly lack of maintenance combined wih over feeding crashed the tank. Colony back to start again with around 20-30 juvies to su adults and around 15 shrimplets. 

Edited by newbreed