morning

braddo

Morning yall, have been involved in the aquarium industry for a while now. Been keeping cherry shrimp for a couple of years, have also had crs with varying degrees of success thought it might be time to find out why I am having trouble with them as there are not many places to find info on them.

Cheers Brad

Thanks mate at this stage though I am only getting the introduction part of the forum so have had a chance to see the whole forum yet.

welcome to SKF mate, you will find plenty of helpful info on the forum as it opens up for you.

what sort of problems are you having with the crs??

I have had em going really well then the just die off water parrameters seem to be good have done nothing different for 12 months then boom over a period of a couple of weeks all gone.

Welcome Brad, I'm sure the guys here should be able to help you figure out what your problem may be.

I am sure it is like everything with the aquarium industry it comes back to trial and error. It is the only thing that is stopping me from going into higher value shrimp. But I have a real soft spot for these little guys. After almost 20 years of being involved in cichlids I have gotten to the stage of I cant stand looking at them anymore. Lately Ihave also found a passion for corydora species as well. Old age must be mellowing me I guess lol.

I have had em going really well then the just die off water parrameters seem to be good have done nothing different for 12 months then boom over a period of a couple of weeks all gone.

Welcome to SKF buddy!

Have you been using pH buffering soils? And do you check your pH regularly ?

Welcome aboard mate ... you store sound alot like mine both the cichlids and shrimps!

Hey Braddo, Did yo do a test of your WP when the tank crashed...check espacially your nitrates...when was the last time you cleaned you filter. It'll be easier to identify any potentrial issue if you post as much info as you can on your tank....age, soil, filter, WP.......

Hey Braddo' date=' Did yo do a test of your WP when the tank crashed...check espacially your nitrates...when was the last time you cleaned you filter. It'll be easier to identify any potentrial issue if you post as much info as you can on your tank....age, soil, filter, WP.......[/quote']

Hi BB, what can you do when soil starts to crash? Reset?

Hi Braddo

Welcome to SKF, as stated earlier did you check your parameters at the time of crash, CRS are a bit more fussy than cherries none the less they are still quiet easy so long as W/C are stable, IMO this is the key. I would be quiet happy to give you some culls if you pay for postage so you can start up again but we just need to figure out your problems first.

Hi Sprae, without considering the loss of the soils buffering capacity, theoritically the build up of s!$@%$! on the soil will cause nitrates levels to go through the roof (plus other deterioration of other WP factors)... I conduct small gravel clean maintenance, when I can.....very carefully, ensuring a period when there were no recent drops of shrimplets etc... ditto on filter maintenance as well, as the build up of crap, will eventually cause a tank to crash ! .... in my experience anyway....

Agreed BB. Maybe a 12-month tank reset would be necessary? I can't think of how you'd gravel vac my nano tank, as I think that could be worse. :confused:

Sorry to be off topic :P

Agreed BB. Maybe a 12-month tank reset would be necessary? I can't think of how you'd gravel vac my nano tank' date=' as I think that could be worse. :confused:

Sorry to be off topic :P[/quote']

You use a small airline tube. Get it siphoning then snip it off with your fingers so the flow stops and kinda mix up a little bit of the substrate then move the airline off the substrate and suck up the mucky water that floats up from stirring up the substrate.

Can only do little bits at a time, or you risk a bacterial bloom or causing a nitrate spike, but if you do it regularly a little bit at a time it can help keep the substrate nice and clean.