PH help

jrc693

Hey everyone,

I just have a question.

I just tested my ph and its around 6.8, I was wondering how I can get it down a bit more..

I am using ada amazonia as substrate and I already have a few IAL in the tank but it doesn't seem to want to go down.

I thought that ADA really pushes the PH down.

Thanks!

Firstly, how are you testing pH? Metering or solution?

Secondly, how old is your ADA Amazonia? Test your water for GH or KH?

The main thing most people forget is that if the main water source may have high GH or KH hardness levels, which inhibits soil buffering. You should test the GH and KH of your water as well just to see if that's stoping the soil from buffering. Hope this helps.

How thick is the layer of ADA? and as sprae said do you have a GH or KH reading?

Thanks for the fast reply guys!

Im testing with the API master kit so i haven't tested GH or KH. Would it be smart to grab a test kit for those?

Also the ADA is probably about 4-5cm thick but i do have a feeling that the tap water could be around 8.0 as i have tested it in the past. so i guess it has gone down a considerable amount.

So if the GH or KH is not optimal, what do i need to do to change that?

Thanks!

The best thing to do is go RO water only mixed with salty shrimp mineral to around 100ppm TDS or 200us EC.

This will maximise your soil buffering capability and let you control the water exactly to where you want it.

Tap with pH 8 is not safe for shrimps and simply cost you more to bring it down.

• 3 months later...

I'm in a similar situation using ADA Amazonia(3-4 months old) and have one IAL in a 50L tank.

Water parameters:

pH: 7.4 (tested with meter and color chart)

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 20ppm

GH: 3

KH: 2

This is a CRS only tank and they seem happy as 9 of the 30 are berried. Should I be concerned about my pH? Will this affect shrimplet survival?

Generally,optimum breeding PH is 6.4, but survival @ 5-7.4. Shrimplet survival is more a TDS/GH issue, but everything correlates.

What soil are you using ?

How thick is your soil ?

How old is your soil ?

I would reduce your Nitarte (WC), and raise your GH to 4-5.

I'm in the same situation with the lovely high pH Sydney water.

It will strip the buffering capacity of your ada before you can say Amano.

I lost the buffering capacity within 4 months on nearly $300 worth of ADA. :(

Best investment ever is a portable RO unit.

I think the money saved on the constant substrate replacement would certainly cover the <$150 cost of a RO unit.

There is someone in north Sydney who sells pre-packaged peat in nice filter bags in north Sydney. They might be another option to lower the pH in the short term

I'm in the same situation with the lovely high pH Sydney water.

It will strip the buffering capacity of your ada before you can say Amano.

I lost the buffering capacity within 4 months on nearly $300 worth of ADA. :(

Best investment ever is a portable RO unit.

I think the money saved on the constant substrate replacement would certainly cover the <$150 cost of a RO unit.

There is someone in north Sydney who sells pre-packaged peat in nice filter bags in north Sydney. They might be another option to lower the pH in the short term

I introduced my shrimp just after my filter cycled but not after the soil finished leaching ammonia so ammonia was 0 but nitrates were through roof :stupid: so I was doing 2 30% WC per day for about a week so that must have taken its toll on the buffering capability. I didn't think it would be this quick, oh well. I'm going to research into a RO unit and the additives needed.

@Bluebolts- Will definitely get the nitrates down.

Thanks guys :encouragement:

I introduced my shrimp just after my filter cycled but not after the soil finished leaching ammonia so ammonia was 0 but nitrates were through roof :stupid: so I was doing 2 30% WC per day for about a week so that must have taken its toll on the buffering capability.

I think I did something similar. :)