Initial set up

Jahosacat

Can someone point me to a site or a thread explaining the best type of gravel and the way a small tank should look? 

Right now my plan is for a 2 1/2 gal tank, planted, heated and filtered. I'm not sure if I should be looking for some driftwood and what size the gravel should be or if sand would be best. I plan to only have shrimp - not sure what kind is available locally.

Thanks for any advice!

Donna

hi donna, what type of shrimp are you going to keep? if it is cherry shrimp then the key is any inert gravel. most people use a black quartz gravel. if u are doing bee shrimp you need to look into a substrate which will keep pH a little acidic :-) hope that helps.

love n peace

will

You could use pool filter sand and it is inert. You just have to make sure it is not silica and give it a really good rinse quite a few times or your water will turn orange. I got mine from Clark Rubber and it was the unicorn brand. White bag with blue unicorn on front.

As Rev said it just depends what shrimp you are trying to keep and where you intend to go in the future with various types of shrimp. I have it in my rilli cull and Typus tank with driftwood and various plants and mosses. Ph is about 6.6 - 6.8.