Jump to content
Matuva

KH : 0?

Recommended Posts

jayc

Jay,

You forgot to remind him not to use the water immediately after boiled. I afraid he will forget about it and use it immediately. LOL!!! ;)

AHAHAHAHAH ! :miao:

 

Seriously though, let the water sit 24hours with an aerator before using it. :awe:

Don't blame me if you get cooked shrimp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matuva

Remember I told to you boil the water from the creek first??? Did you forget?

It was on the first page of this thread. Doh.

 

 :embarrass:Yes yes, I remember. Sometimes you just need to get burnt to gain experience and know you don't have to play with fire :burn: 

 

Jay,

You forgot to remind him not to use the water immediately after boiled. I afraid he will forget about it and use it immediately. LOL!!! ;)

 

Tssss :brzzzzz:

 

For boiled water, you need to put an air pump or water pump to circulate it for a day or two before use. Boiled water will contain much lesser oxygen and it is not good to use it directly. Also when you are boiling the water, it is better to heat it to 60C to 70C for 20 mins or more (pasteurisation) instead of boiling it to boiling point. High temperature will cause water to evaporate, and nutrients may react and lost it's bioavailability.

What if I treat the water with Flubendazole and then filter it under a 2 microns mesh?

I can boil about the 100 liters i will collect, but I'm afraid I won't have enough shrimps for cooking then :5565bf0371061_D:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jayc

Try to avoid using medication where possible. 

Heating the water to 70-80degC will more than likely kill any parasites.

 

If you are in a rush, a drop of Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) will re-oxygenate the water in no time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shrimpy Daddy

Try to avoid using medication where possible. 

+1

Medication kills parasites but not their eggs. Boiling will kill both.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matuva

 

 Yes, I forgot about the eggs. Mmm, boiled eggs and shrimps. It's really time to buy some mayonnaise :aha-!: 

Just a drop of H202 is enough for 100 l?

I was also thinking - even though I will boil - about a pump I have. This pump has an UV lamp inside to help purifying the water.

I use one in my discus tank where the water is trully crystal clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jayc

Well, maybe a bit more for 100L.

10ml should do it. Maybe less. H2O2 will super oxygenate the water, but don't use too much. 

UV is ok for bacteria and algae. And you can run it with the tank. BUT.

It's not enough for the water from the creek. It's not going to kill parasites or their eggs.

Boiling the water will sort out algae, bacteria, parasites and their eggs all in one go. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matuva

OK, will do ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Must Read SKF Articles

  • Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

    Join Our Community!

  • Posts

    • jayc
      ph dropping is part of the nitrogen cycle. That means the bacteria is doing it's thing. A water change with higher pH water is necessary now to avoid the cycle stalling. The prawn growing fur is also normal, as it is decomposing, and fungi are starting to break it down. Let the biofilm grow as that will be part of the shrimp's diet once you add some in. If it's hindering your view, scrape it off the front glass only, but don't syphon it out. The dislodged biofilm from the front glass will settle somewhere else in the tank.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Its good to hear that the fur growing on the shrimp is 'normal', I may leave them in until thursdays usual maintenance day then. Todays readings are as before nitrate 25, ammonia and nitrite 0! I could get someone to get me some duckweek from the lake but I remember how hard it was to get rid of it before, so am a bit reluctant to go that route, but it should bring the nitrates down a bit??? You should leave the biofilm in the tank, the shrimps will thoroughly enjoy that when they get into that tank. Simon
    • sdlTBfanUK
      As you are aiming for TDS150 and the tank is near that now at 147 you just make the new water up to near as you can TDS150 and if you keep topping up with pure RO water between changes this would be the normal routine from now. Getting a new TDS meter was the right thing to do as they are cheap enough and hopefully it will be more accurate? As someone said before, you can get a rough idea of whether the TDS reading is right by doing a GH test as using RO water and remineraliser those figures should be related. Probably best to test some mineralised water before you put it in the tank though! Good that you haven't lost any more shrimps, hopefully that continues and all should be straight forward now. Simon
    • jc12
      Thank you. Yeah they are great quality discus of German lineage. Due to family and young kids, I was not able to devote my time to them as much as I would like to so I have since sold them back to the person who sold them to me in the first place. He has been a discus breeder for many years so I know he will look after them well and keep their progeny going within Australia. Thank you. This rack is still running but I am planning to strip it all down, move it to the garage and set it all up again.
    • supermansteve32
      Okay so I haven't done a water change in weeks because I thought the TDS needed to get closer to 150 before changing and my TDS meter continually kept reading 108 to 114. Sho I went and bought a new TDS meter and it's different from my old one.  The new one vs my old one: my water in tank 147 vs 103, water using the correct salty shrimp mix to RO water 88 vs 66. So I'm going with the reading on my new TDS meter.  So it's time for a water change.  Should I replace the water with the 88 TDS or put some more mix in until it's above 100 (since CRS parameters should be 100-200)? Thanks again everyone
×