Beginner Plants

GotCrabs

Just curious to know what people see as 'Beginner Plants' in the aquarium hobby as after I have my operation in coming months and am up and running and working again I will look at a larger tank, so am roughly putting together a list of plants that can go into a easy care but well looked after and presented aquarium for fish and shrimp.

Off the top of my head, the plants that spring to mind are the following:

Anubias Nana

Jungle Val

Water Wisteria

Java Fern

Bolbitis

Cryptocoryne

Amazon Sword

Any others people can think of? I'm thinking I'll mainly go with the Val, Anubias, Water Wisteria, Java Fern, Bolbitis, Amazon Sword and Crypts, also probably looking at using pool filter sand as a base and using water column ferts such as AquaGreen's Dino range.

Will also probably shut the two tanks I have going at the moment down and just concentrate on 1 main tank.

All the mosses are pretty easy, and low light low fertiliser.

I assume your running co2?

Echinodorus ocelot

Hygrophila corymbosa / polysperma

staurogyne repens

• Like 1

hey good luck with op how soon r u having it? pink baby tears are quite easy and have a nice pink colour. and ambulia is really easy to grow. ambulia leaves are kinda moss-like when they have medium+ light and provide tonnes of surface area. befoee I grew mosses my shrimps always chose to hang out on ambulia I always guessed it was because it has so much surface area for microfauna/flora to grow on.

All the mosses are pretty easy, and low light low fertiliser.

Not a big fan of mosses, although I do like Subwassertang, got some pieces of Sub growing very well, nice.

I assume your running co2?

Echinodorus ocelot

Hygrophila corymbosa / polysperma

staurogyne repens

No co2 mate, looking at perhaps a 3ft/4ft tank.

Buces are easy, but comparatively expensive.

Yeah tell me about it, not cheap! Nice though.

hey good luck with op how soon r u having it? pink baby tears are quite easy and have a nice pink colour. and ambulia is really easy to grow. ambulia leaves are kinda moss-like when they have medium+ light and provide tonnes of surface area. befoee I grew mosses my shrimps always chose to hang out on ambulia I always guessed it was because it has so much surface area for microfauna/flora to grow on.

Go back to Adelaide on the 22nd this month and will get a final date on the operation.