My mixed reef and fishroom :)

Eshrimp

Long night tonight with new baby's

My wife found that my clowns had spawned for the first time so tonight we shall see how many fry i can rescue....

45FAABC3-F4AB-410F-883B-F540510AAD5E-12087-0000068A5B0BE93A.jpg

Check out the hawk fish in the back ...lol he is just waiting for one chance and he will swoop but mama clown is EXTREAMLY agresive (she actually has drawn blood many times from my hand, always from the same spot too, the little b.....h) so he will never get close.

BCA21F1D-A86E-4F11-98FF-334C221B86DF-12087-0000068A629F6947.jpg

why do you have to rescue them ? Will they get eaten or ????????????? I thought it would be like nemo and let them live in the anemone until they spawn with a special fin :)

That's awesome Eshrimp! Clownfish are really aggressive, mine used to smash my hand when I would feed the anemone, once the girl bit me on the webbing between my fingers & when I pulled my hand out in shock she was still holding on & didn't let go till she was out of the water, I fair threw her half way across the room, luckily she landed on the soft lounge, lol :encouragement:

• 4 weeks later...

nice tank have you done any upgrades to the aqua one tank as we sell a lot of them at work and the first thing people do is the lights then the sump

• HOF Member

any update on the clown fish I don't know how I missed this thread. It's all been said but wow awesome:encouragement:

Thanks again guys... The clown fish keep spawning but I have yet to be able to save any fry. Our aqua reef is 100% stock equipment the only mod has been taking out the bio balls and turning the center chamber in to a refugium, did not change any dynamics of the sump at all just literally took balls out and put live rock and macro with a night light. I have added a chepo LED light strip in the middle of the stock t5 unit to use are night light.

Very aggressive & very territorial, nothing is allowed in or near their anemone :encouragement:

• 1 month later...

Are they custom made for tanks or converted bookshelves (looks like my dream setup!)

Having seen this in person last weekend, I can only vouch for the fantastic DIY skills that Emanuel has done for the rack setup. In a nut shell it's a steel rack with MDF, simple, elegant, classy, quiet, inexpensive and hassle free without pipping and sumps as it runs on a silent Schego air pump. Not to mention the stunning reef tanks and that overpopulated CRS tank, amazing!

Wow that's quite a setup :-) u obviiusly have a understanding partner like I do.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Wowee.....do you mind haring your maintenance routine and additives etc....Wowee...oh, I said that already

First year was excessive WC at 20% twice a week with Redsea coral pro salt. Then that salt had a huge bad batch problem and lost heaps of coral from it so we cut back to currently doing 20% with dupla salt or microbelift salt every fortnight or so. Since upgrading our lights to Vertex LEDs the whole sys has been much much more stable.

We dose every night with coroline grow by Red Sea, strontium iron and iodine from dupla.

Hope that helps BB. Remember I have some coral for you once you get back in to marine mate. Just say the word ;)

Btw the brown sps on the mixed reef is still brown since it was a rescue from LFS that just went in yesterday.

oooooooooooooooo, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, :) i love the diversity of colour which you show off in your tank :).

You must get alot o enjoyment from sitting and watching :)

• HOF Member

That tank looks better each time I see it! But nothing beats seeing it in real life it's awesome:blowkiss:

Wow! Thats so colourful! Stunning!

What are those little turquoise fish?? My favourite colour! I didn't even know that fish of this colour existed.

Wow! Thats so colourful! Stunning!

What are those little turquoise fish?? My favourite colour! I didn't even know that fish of this colour existed.

They are blue chromis & they are a cool, peaceful, schooling fish & think they are a must for any coral tanks, such a cool little fish. :encouragement:

.....Remember I have some coral for you once you get back in to marine mate. Just say the word ;)

Thanks mate.....my tank is cycling ATM (only on Day 6). As I'm a ridiculous hobbyist & collector, and ONLY having a 120lt, I've decide to ONLY have carpet anemones, and clowns.....otherwise, I'll just go crazy :-( So do you have a yellow carpet anemone ? PLEASE jibdcb

Bb You mean like this one that we have been thinking of getting rid off since she has gotten too big for our sps tank? LOL

2BCB6D2E-7695-4722-8DD2-C0740A11E703.jpg

E399B2FC-90EC-4F6B-B015-07368A60202A.jpg

F2781921-16F3-461F-8044-158FA1F5F478.jpg

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• sdlTBfanUK
      I have just done the planned weekly maintenance and 10% water change and everything 'seems' to be going very well, I saw 12 blue and 9 panda shrimps so am very happy about that as there are always some hiding (and they are small) so there must be more than that at this point. Early days yet (especially with the off parameters) with the blues only been in the tank for a week and the pandas for 2 weeks. Not seen any dead ones yet and the shrimp seem happy enough and beautiful colour and pattern, all small so must be young! Parameters were TDS 159, GH 7-8, KH 1-2, PH 7 yesterday so still a bit off the usual ideal! Hopefully these figures come down slowly in time, I used pure RO water for the water change so Tds should drop 10. I will get a different PH test kit with a narrower range/increments as the one I have measures in .5 increments over a wide range which is probably a bit much. I bought these shrimp because the sellers parameters (PH 6.8) were the closest to mine so hopefully it will work out long term. I changed my zerowater filter as well, as the old one was measuring TDS 6 so passed its best. I will definitely overnight drip acclimate shrimp in the future, not that I plan any more in the forseeable future. I will add/edit photo when available, hopefully later today.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      All done now, I drip acclimated 11 blue bolts and 6 blue steel overnight and they are now in the tank so now is just wait and see if this works. 28 shrimps have now been put in and I have yet to SEE a dead one so fingers crossed! A couple of pictures of some below; I don't plan on buying any more shrimp so plan this to be a blue shrimp tank, though if it doesn't work out I have seen some female bettas I would like, but hopefully the shrimps will work out. The water parameters are still the same as before, so a bit off! I need to sort out what foods and shrimp stuff I have in the drawers and cupboard tomorrow as it's been a while, hopefully I find a shrimp lolly so I can give them one/part of those tomorrow, and it may bring as many of the shrimps out as possible.  Fingers crossed everyone...........  
    • NoGi
    • jayc
      LoL. Just look back at old posts on the forum.  
    • NoGi
      New, when i left i shut down everything. This is my first tank back. I've forgotten so much lol