New Cube Shrimp Tank

larrymull

Hi Guys,

I am setting up this 30x30x30cm cube tank for my RCS.  

Black Earth Premium Substrate Fine

As you can see on the rock I am trying to grow some java moss over it. 

Aqua one HOB filter - will add sponge filter just before shrimp go in.

I have xmas moss that I am hoping to grow as carpet in the front and back and have ordered some Blyxa Japonica to go in the top right hand corner. I will also put a small piece of driftwood in growing xmas moss on it.

My main goal is to carpet the front and sides of the tank with the xmas moss - keeping it nice and lush and most importantly simple.

Any other suggestions anyone would recommend?

post-1428-0-60095600-1425423717_thumb.jp

I wonder if the moss will grow along the gravel to form a nice carpet the way I imagine you hope for. I can't help feeling that a different carpeting plant would work out better in the long run. 

I'm thinking of something like a Hemianthus species, or perhaps dwarf chain sword (tenellus) or an Eleocharis like Belem. I hope someone else provides their input for you soon. 

I suggest adding the sponge filter asap so that it can start cycling and growing shrimp food. 

For a 27Litre tank you don't really need sponge to cycle. I recommend liquid or powdered bacteria, because the bottled bacterias will contain microorganisms that the shrimps will feed on. Or You could just get old tank water from whom ever you get ur shrimps from. That way you can start a good culture of bacteria and microorganisms that are good for ur shrimps.

As Kizshrimp stated I recommend an actually carpet plant, HC Cuba is the best IMO. Many say that they demand a lot and are hard to grow, but I beg to differ. I have successfully grown HC in an unfertilized tank with DIY co2 which barely pumps anything out. If ur using cal aqua black earth it should you should be able to grow ur HC beautifully, because the substrate is meant for plants.

I should have mentioned that I won't be using co2 I want to keep it as simple as possible. If moss isn't going to work what would be a simple carpet like plant to work in low light?

What about dwarf baby tears in front to carpet with some Blyxa Japonica growing the back right hand corner and xmas moss spread out in different sections?

I think Blyxa Japonica around the back of the stone and the rest Baby Tears or Hair Grass all through the rest of the tank and kept trimmed.

You still need some kind of moss for the shrimp though? I like your idea about the Blyxa Japonica at the back of the rock. May add another smaller rock next to the big one too, just to even it out a little.

I think it looks fine the way it is to be honest, just need the plants in there that's all, you don't need mosses, the Blyxa and what ever other plant you go with will be enough for the shrimp to hide in and what not.

Edited by GotCrabs

I would still put Christmas moss in, perhaps on driftwood as you said originally. "Baby Tears" can mean a few different plants depending who you're talking to - I dislike using trade names and common names for that ambiguity. 

My vote is for Hemianthus glomeratus (micranthemoides) as an easy grower without CO2. Keep trimming it and it will stay low. The tenellus or hairgrass should be ok without CO2 also. 

Yep I was just reading the Hemianthus callitrichoides and it appears that it would be much harder to grow without c02. I am trying to keep things as simple as possible but making the tank look lush with couple, a couple of mosses and the Blyxa.