umbrella moss (Rhodobryum giganteum )

buck

does any one know much about it, or have it? its poping up on some fb groups but there isnt much info on it

1288719481.jpg

There is one like that up here, I have not seen it take that under water form though.

It always grows in the shade in the wild and when I have had it grows submersed out side in the shade, will try some inside and see what happens.

Should be down your way to

Bob

I have a similar one here as well, possibly the same one. I dont like the submersed growth so haven't done anything else with it. As a side note, when emerse under low light conditions it grows in a similar manner to the submerse form. I wonder if very high light is the key to keeping it compact?

• Like 2

Just a thought. And maybe a silly one!

The first image has no growth or shoots from side if stem. Do you think if side shoots were trimmed it would put more energy into growth of top leaves?? Similar to terrestrial pruning?

The first image looks quite manicured to me.

Look forward to seeing results from any tests you do Bob and Ben. It looks like a wonderful new plant to add to the collection.

Edited by newbreed

It is very common up here in the right spots, I had photos, looks like and excuse to go creek hiking, like I need an excuse.

I have seen mats of it 2mts square and it has under water growth, will have a look properly, always in the heavy shade in the wild.

Bob

• Like 1

It better growing as an emersed plant.

I got a few photo of it submerged growing but unabled to post photo here.

It always said to me that the file is too big. Etc ....

Even i can not change my profile picture

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen a land moss like that in our hinterland forest west and north of Brissie. But because it grows no where near water i didn't bother trying it in a tank.