Sign in to follow this  
GotCrabs

Christmas Moss Shrimp Tank

GotCrabs

I saw this on Instagram earlier and thought I'd share it on here, it's just a Christmas Moss Shrimp tank but it to me just looks awesome, I know it's very simple looking but doesn't it look cool though.

This is 13 weeks of growth, Christmas Moss tied to Malaysian Driftwood.

Anyone else have or seen tanks like this? Just simple but really cool looking?

image11_zps486a1970.jpeg

image21_zpsa5485276.jpeg

jayc

LOL, it's like my tank ... when it's over grown!

GotCrabs

I thought it looked alright.

JPN07

I like it. Very simple and perfect home for shrimps. Might try it when i setup another tank.

Edited by JPN07

GotCrabs

Kind of thinking that myself, I have a small tank sitting out back and am wondering if I should grab a small cheap filter and heater and see if I can do this as well, get a load of Christmas Moss or another Moss and see how it goes, I think it looks good, reminds me of an overgrown landscape, I can't help but think Japan for some reason, no idea why though.

2OFUS

Flame moss would be perfect for this

• Like 1

newbreed

Sweet looking tank! Wouldn't want to be trying to catch anything out though!!

The shrimp would absolutely love it!!

• Like 1

GotCrabs

I've got a smallish tank outside, just sitting there, think I might give it a clean, grab a Aqua One 25w Glass Heater and either a Aqua One Clear View HOB or a Maxi 101f Internal filter, that one might be safer for shrimp hey? 

GotCrabs

I'll have a look at the local pet store and see what there is, if I can't find something I'm after I'll grab it offline, might do this later on today, seeing it's 3:15 am now...

GotCrabs

Ended up going down to buy a heater and filter, walked out with a new tank, heater and substrate... bought some Peacock Moss off 20FUS, everything set up and running, once the Moss is received I'll tie it down to a piece of deco log/cave and let it run it's course.

I got a AquaTopia Aura 20ltr.

Tankeyone

looking forward to pics mate! 

GotCrabs

I've got it hooked up and running but I'll post pics once I get the Moss in I think, I'll make a thread I think, plus I might do week by week progress, I'm interested to see how what rate the Moss grows from week to week, Perplex said I should put my Crystal Reds in but I only have males though.

hybird147

How do you guys go about having the moss to grow at faster rate? Im thinking of setting up another tank outside and leave it in the shade just for growing moss and dosing extra ferts and co2.

• Like 1

GotCrabs

How do you guys go about having the moss to grow at faster rate? Im thinking of setting up another tank outside and leave it in the shade just for growing moss and dosing extra ferts and co2.

Dot it! Sounds like a good idea to me, would look great sitting out the back under the verandah on the outdoor table setting or somewhere else as a display, would look alright.

I'm just putting in AquaGreen's Dinosaur Pee and Spit at the moment.

hybird147

Haha, but would the natural light be sufficient? As the purpose is to colonize my china moss and US fissiden and put it back into my display tank as these moss take ages to grow. Also, are there chance of hair algae would grow if I only use a sponge filter or internal and co2? No live stocks ofcourse

Edited by hybird147

GotCrabs

Haha, but would the natural light be sufficient? As the purpose is to colonize my china moss and US fissiden and put it back into my display tank as these moss take ages to grow. Also, are there chance of hair algae would grow if I only use a sponge filter or internal and co2? No live stocks ofcourse

I could be wrong but I'd say it should be OK to grow in natural light, plus I think Mosses prefer the cooler water as well so might be alright outside, can only try.

Someone will know about the Mosses you named and will be able to help.

No reason why you couldn't put a handful of Red Cherry Shrimp in, I've done it before in a tank I had outside for a little while, it's just way too hot here in the Summer.