• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• sdlTBfanUK
      I thought you bought a zerowater jug filter, that produces the same as RO water, or maybe I have misunderstood? I wouldn't use the filter if it is zerowater jug at this stage as if you are changing 50% of the water daily that is a big waste!  Until the tank is cycled/ready you may as well just use dechlorinated tap water but I'm not sure why you are doing daily water changes either? Simon
    • Sonnycbr
      Quick update on the tank. Tested water this morning and it’s reading 0 nitrite 0.5 ammonia and 5.0 nitrate. I’m doing 50% daily water changes with filtered tap water until the cycle completes then I’m going to use RO from then on. My local shop sells RO water for £4 for 25L but I’m going to buy a unit for about 60 quid. 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      That all sounds terrific and we love to hear a success story! It is always exciting when you start getting baby shrimps, something I am hoping for but may have a long wait as it is wintery here??? Remember to drip acclimate the new crystals when you get them. It will look more interesting having the two colours together. Simon
    • Steensj2004
      Update.   Manual removal has stopped, seems to be under control. Light has been lowered on day cycle to try to combat over lighting. Baby shrimp are showing up more frequently now as I gander around the tank . I’ve received the lid kit and will be assembling that and doing a water change tonight.   In other news, I’ve ordered some Black and red crystals to bolster population of reds, and add some blacks. The fish are for a friend’s tank( we like to combine orders to save a few dollars). He offered me half of the emeralds, but I think I’ll steer clear anyway, I’m sure they would eat baby shrimps, even as small as they are. Maybe I’ll take him up on the offer once my colony is booming, as he’s putting them in a designated breeding tank.  
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Hope it all works as you want it too so you can get everything settled with the tanks at last so that you can build your collection! Simon