canister question

ineke

• HOF Member

do canisters make the water slightly warmer? I have only 1 canister in my shrimp room and that tank always seems to be warmer than the other tanks in the room. It is only slightly warmer but with the summer coming it might make a difference. The canister is an Eheim 2213 running a 60 litre tank .  I have cleaned the impeller and checked flow is OK.Anyone know if they do run warmer?

Interesting question. look forward to the answer....

• HOF Member

I couldn't keep the tank below 24.5. I have put a new heater in but the temp is still warmer than the rest in the room so yes it would be good to know.  i have used several different temp controllers to check the temp and they all read the same.

The tank isn't in a position closer to window or anything like that, that would affect it other than the canister?

Glad you mentioned the heater as that was another question I thought of.

i would say yes, im experiencing the same thing, but also your light will heat up the temp

i was going to ask the same question, my room temp is 22 and my tank temp is 24 no heater, so... i think its the light

• HOF Member

Thanks guys. I'm adding  fans to the tank but wondered about the canister. I'm just waiting for a price on a room airconditioner because i have too many tanks to get chillers for them all.. now i know it could be the canister i might have to remove it for the summer if the tank continues to run warm.

• HOF Member

I have run the tank without the lights which are LEDs but the temp still stays warmer.

Yes the tank is at the wall end of the room closest to the window but the tank on the otherside in the same place is running the same as the rest of the tanks. 

At least if you manage to go with the air con option you wont have to lose the canister.

Its good that you have been able to identify this before it potentially becomes an issue.

• HOF Member

it is amazing that I haven't had problems over the last 12 months. The canister was on my TB tank and although the thermometer was reading warm it didn't seem to worry the shrimp but now i have moved the canister to a different tank plus have added the temp controller which hopefully is fairly accurate and that's how I picked up the extra heat in that tank. I've tried several of the controllers and they all read the same so have to accept they are right. 

Alan is still a bit under the weather but he has promised to add the fans to the controller over the next day or so then I can stop worrying as the fans work really well and should cancel out the heat from the canister. The room air conditioner will be a split system reverse cycle so I can do away with the heaters as well taking another worry out of the system. I only have a few cherry tanks now so really need to have a more stable environment in my room.

• Like 1

Every pump generates heat.

At work I have a 800L insulated esky which I use as a header tank to heat seawater. A pump in the esky pushes seawater through a looped 3KW titanium heater. With the heater off and the pump only pumping water around the loop, the water reached 45*C overnight.

• Like 1

• HOF Member

Thanks Ben -this has also now answered another question that was lurking because I also use an Eheim internal power filter at times for polishing the water and had thought the temp had been raised somewhat now I know I was right. I am only really noticing these rises since the use of the new temp controllers. Trouble is now I am getting a bit too pedantic I think -I got up through the night to check the temp of the tank in question. New technology doesn't always make life easier!  : SWEAT :  :rolleyes:

I only have a few cherry tanks now so really need to have a more stable environment in my room.

what did you do with all your tb's and crs?

• HOF Member

what did you do with all your tb's and crs?

I have heaps of them it's just the cherries that are low in number! I still have TB, TBM , at least 100 F1-F7 Mischling babies -probably more, plenty of Tibees, my first Tigers, the beginnings of  Pintos, some Goldens , a small colony of CBS and a big colony of CRS. That's why there are only a few cherry tanks now and why the room needs to be more stable. I sold off a lot of the cherries  but also unfortunately when I changed my substrate over to Elos the Cherries didn't like it and I lost quite a few - the ph went down quite low and even though I very slowly acclimatised them I think it was just too low too quick.They had been in 6.5 but the elos has gone to below 6 closer to 5.  The only ones I have good a number of are the Blacks and Blues from the blacks but they have always been in a lower ph.

Oh thats alright i thought you might of sold them all and i didnt see the thread lol.

When summer is over would you possibly interested in trading some fresh blood lines? 

• HOF Member

Oh thats alright i thought you might of sold them all and i didnt see the thread lol.

When summer is over would you possibly interested in trading some fresh blood lines? 

We can certainly look into that Shaun - I need new bloodlines too  my TB and Mischlings were all originally from Ninja.

Will discuss in the cooler months, Would only be able to trade normal CRS as i got no Mischling or tb :(

Mine arent from ninja so that would be beneficial :) Just found a hydra problem in my tank so everythings crossed the shrimpsurvive the treatment

• HOF Member

My CRS are from several different breeders not Ninja but most are from Eshrimp so we should be good.

If I end up with a reasonable number of TBM I could always add a few. The CRS are not mischling I have kept them separate. So yes as soon as the summer is over and you are ready we can talk! :smile:

Damn Hydra! I haven't had a problem with them yet but I am not adding any plants from anyone else so hopefully they won't find a way into my tanks.

Edited by ineke

This is the first time i have ever had them and have not added new plants in...............................2 months 

• HOF Member

mmm I thought they had to be introduced. Must have got that wrong. learn something new everyday :smile:

Hydra would have been introduced. Most likely from those plants. It's just taken you 2 months to notice. 

All it takes is for one to be stuck on a plant, and they will slowly multiply by budding off polyps. Hence the name - cut off one head and two appears.

They don't just appear. They need that constant source of water, or else they dry out and die.

• Like 1

Looks like I'll be joining you Ozshrimp.

I found planaria in my shrimp tank last night !!!  : FIRE :

They are still small. But definitely planaria.