Finally sorted my Crytals

ineke

• HOF Member

After having to put all my crystals, TB , Mischling and TBM/TBMM into my community tank in January when we went away during the heatwave here in Adelaide I have got them all sorted out again and into their own tanks.

I now have my TB's, Mischlings and offspring in 1 tank, finally got my CBS into their own tank including Squiggs so called "culls" and a selection of nice young CRS in their own tank. I still have quite a few CRS in the Community tank but now there are no other colours or types to breed with in there.

Now I can start some selective breeding and see if I can improve my CRS and CBS. I have put my Goldens and Whites in the TB tank as they are Mischlings anyway. I might actually get some where now.

I know that a lot of my Crystals have come from breeders who kept all the colours together - except Squiggs CBS- so there is a lot of work to do once they start breeding but I look forward to that.

The hardest part is I bought some Mischlings from Ninja some time ago -they were CBS, Goldens and Whites but the quality of her shrimp is so good now it is hard to pick out the CBS Mischlings from the CBS so no doubt I will get the occasional little surprise if I have made any mistakes in picking them out.

I now have all my colours and types including my Cherries in separate tanks at last , the only double up will be the Tibees who will need to be in with something else. I still have my community tank for all the culls and still have empty tanks stashed away just incase I need them. Ahh life is good!:happydance::happydance:

I do have a slight shrimp hoarding obsession though.

Must be great to know where everyone is now!

Great work Ineke!!

• HOF Member

Yes and I think it's time i did some serious breeding with the Crystals instead of just having them to look at! At least they have started breeding again now - there was a drought on with the Crystals!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• beanbag
      One interesting thing he mentioned was "Bacteria pressure", which I guess just means number of bacteria around.  Yet I see all these other videos from shrimpkeepers bragging about how much bacteria their filtering system holds. Also interesting is no mention of using anti-biotics to treat bacterial infection.  I think that has fallen out of favor recently.
    • sdlTBfanUK
    • sdlTBfanUK
      It has been a few weeks now and I have done a couple of large water changes. I tested the water parameters this morning, GH6 and KH2, TDS 140 and PH 7.5. Obviously the PH is off but there isn't anything in the tank that should cause the PH to rise to this figure so I will just run the tank for another month with 10% weekly water changes (probably just with RO water) and see where we are at that point. The RO water tests at PH6, and the KH and GH in the tank could come down as they are at the upper limits for Caridina shrimps! There are only about 10 very small snails in there at this point, but they seem to be doing well enough.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I believe these to be very rare in Australia so you may even consider making it a longer term plan and produce your own by starting with the best CRS you can get as that is where the pure lines started! Depends how patient and interested in the project you are, but would save money as well? If I recall correctly it takes from 8 generations of selective breeding? They sell them at micro aquatic shop but do not ship to Western Australia, but that means they are available in Australia. https://microaquaticshop.com.au/products/pure-red-line-grade-ss-shrimp Good luck and just maybe smeone on here may point you in the right direction or be able to supply you with some.
    • Jimmy
      Hi Guys,  Does anyone know where to buy PRL shrimps in WA, not the CRS please. Thanks Regards