quiet sump tips

smicko

Hi all, I'm building a 3 teir rack to go in the lounge room that will run a few tanks into a 3x18 sump. I've had sumps before in fish rooms so noise wasn't an issue but this one I want it to be basically silent.

I will run the water from the tanks into a drip tray with Dacron then the rest of the goodies.

So i need some advice from the sump gurus.

I don't want to run a cannister so please don't suggest it. Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance, mick

Drip tray is definitely a good start, having an angled cut on the drain hose from the tank is something else you can try. :encouragement:

T/piece on outlet's, have the main drain pipe go under water in the sump and the bigger the pipe/bulkhead used the better

I will be running t-pieces with foam in the top to reduce noise and the sump will be in a cupboard that I'm thinking of insulating.

Another question,

If i have benbachi in media bags in the sump can I run a thinner layer in the tank as one of my tanks will only be 1ft deep.

Cheers mick

Personally I wouldn't worry cause the shrimp don't really use the top of the tank anyway so the height won't really make much difference, they mainly walk around on the bottom. :encouragement:

If i have benbachi in media bags in the sump can I run a thinner layer in the tank as one of my tanks will only be 1ft deep.

Cheers mick

i have quiet often pondered that question as well