Posting water sample results

slin1977

I purchased some Salty shrimp bee GH mineral salt and compared the manufacturers recommendation to my own dosing that I invented before purchasing this product.

Since I am a reefer I have always been interested in water parameters. I have numerous test kits at my disposal such as calcium , magnesium, phosphate, KH , GH , TDS , NO3 , potassium , Strontium, Iodide and salinity. I got started with the basics and then did water changes as planned. Before I used Salty Shrimp product I made my own mineral addition to RODI water with Red Sea Coral Pro.

let me share some of my findings and I will add to them as time goes on.

Tests taken at 25 C

Sydney Tap water ph 7.7 GH 5 TDS 89 KH 1.9 dKH

RODI ph 6.5 GH 0 TDS 0 KH 0.3

Salty Shrimp 3ml level scoop in 20 liters RODI

ph 6.5 GH 5 TDS 84 KH 0.3

Red Sea Coral Pro 3ml level scoop in 20 liters RODI

ph 6.5 GH 3 TDS 143 KH 0.3

will do calcium and magnesium tests at next water change and update post.

Awesome stuff dude, I'll be very keen to see the rest of the results, can you post up iodide results too? :encouragement:

What about the salinity levels?

Can you test that?

You might be onto something, as Red Sea Coral Pro is significantly cheaper than all the shrimp products.

7kg of this stuff is $50 as opposed to $25 for 200g of SS GH+.

Just my observation - Salty Shrimp did not mix to the parameters claimed on the 200 gram pack.

this could be due to settling in the container, I need to mix it through and try again.

I have had no issues so far with my reefing salt and have berried CRS - simply needed to find out what was the deal with salty shrimp.

Just my observation - Salty Shrimp did not mix to the parameters claimed on the 200 gram pack.

this could be due to settling in the container' date=' I need to mix it through and try again.[/quote']

Any updates?

I'm very keen to see if we can replace Salty Shrimp with Red Sea Coral Pro.

What is in SS that isn't in Red Sea Coral Pro?

Any updates?

I'm very keen to see if we can replace Salty Shrimp with Red Sea Coral Pro.

What is in SS that isn't in Red Sea Coral Pro?

Sorry mate, due to work load and vacations this month is going to give me no time to test the two further. I made a 50/50 version for my water change today.

I made a 50/50 version for my water change today.

50/50 of what?

50/50 of what?

Red Sea coral pro / Salty shrimp

my mix turned out to be 240 TDS and 6.5 ph in 15 liters that was 3 grams of each salt.

For those wishing to crunch some numbers I saw some interesting phenomenon today. I can tell you are itching for some data so I did a mini test since I don't have enough RODI on hand.

as accurately as possible I dissolved 1 gram of salty shrimp into 250 ml water and did the same with the Red Sea .

tested as follows .....

SS TDS 174. X10

RSCP TDS 264. X10

SS calcium 580ppm Salifert

RSCP calcium 120ppm Salifert

SS magnesium 600ppm Salifert

RSCP magnesium 300ppm Salifert

;)

Hmm, still trying to figure out what this means.

At first glance, SS is still better with more Ca and Mg.

I don't think much is written about optimum calcium and magnesium levels for our shrimp- I am sure some of you might have come across info.

Please feel free to post any info you have.

For our fellow reefers we know what levels of mineral are required to keep our coral happy.

The ratio of GH:MG for shrimps is generally between 4:1 till 3:1 (Calcium:Magnesium).

So while the SS ratio you tested doesn't seem to be 4:1, Ca will be depleted and more needs to be added.

However, SS starts out with more Ca. So you don't need to add as much.

RSCP still works out to be cheaper, but it looks like you will need to supplement more Ca.

Which isn't a problem for some of us, since like me, I have a huge bag of Ca Sulphate.

I used to use Seachem reef salt and Seachem salt for fish only tanks , the difference between the two was obviously one was optimised for reefs containing a lot more elements.

Since I have tried using Seachem Replenish in the past on my shrimp, when I get the chance I might do some testing on that product.