diy c02 first attempt

smicko

So after having issues with my little Fluval setup I decided to try diy.

I used a 2 litre bottle for the reactor as the recipes were all similar for that size, it then runs into a 600ml bottle as a gunk collector and bubble counter, then through an airstone that sits under the Fluval diffuser until I get another one.

I was surprised with the simplicity and it only took around half an hour.DSC_0096_zpsbag9q9xx.jpg

First pic is supplies;

2litre soft drink bottle,

600ml soft drink bottle,

Adjustable flow valve,

2cups of sugar,

Teaspoon of yeast,

Teaspoon of bicarb.

Second pic is after I put holes in the lids to run airline DSC_0097_zpsbninibif.jpg

I then premixed the sugar bicarb and water in warm water until it dissolved and filled the 2 litre 3/4 full.

Next I activated the yeast by making a paste using tepid water and let it sit for 10 minutes before adding it to the reactor, on side note a few websites mentioned adding half a teaspoon Vegemite to give the yeast something to feed on.

Last pic is everything mixed, plumbed and ready to install.DSC_0098_zpsuzfgo0og.jpg

It takes between 2 and 24hrs to.start producing depending on the mixture but the quicker it makes and releases c02 the shorter time it lasts.

I will be looking into a proper bubble counter and making another reactor so they run concurrent.

Hope you all enjoyed reading this as much as I did making it.

Also any suggestions or improvements are welcome as this is my first attempt.

Cheers mick

hey ive never tried DIY co2 before not sure im going to but It looks pretty ezy I saw this vid on youtube on how to make it...is it similer to your setup ?

Raw suger is better to use imo

when I was running the DIY co2 I would only change it every 3weeks

it last mucho longer with the raw sugar :)

Thanks 2ofus I was thinking that raw sugar would be better as it's a more complex sugar.

Is there any other tips you learnt whilst doing diy.

Cheers mick

Yeah

be careful lol

they can spit hoses when u turn it off (over night) and then the co2 mix will empty everywhere because of the pressure

i suggest you use some silicon

has happened to me many times lol

DIY co2 is now banned from this household :)

Here's another tip for ya ...

Rather than let it diffuse via an air stone, where most of it will be lost to the atmosphere when it bubbles up ... get one of these Ista diffusers for your DYI system...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6564[/ATTACH]

It will trap the CO2 for longer periods, and allow greater diffusion of CO2 into the water.

Of course if you want it to be a true DIY, you could make something similar with an old water bottle.

post-3460-139909856077_thumb.jpg

Got a bubble counter you can have dude, I'll drop it off with the plants & stuff. :encouragement:

Thanks squiggle,

2ofus should I be turning it off at night? Sorry if that's a silly question but I'm new to this.

I'm running a Fluval 20g diffuser at the moment but looking to upgrade to a different one.

Cheers mick

it should be turned off at night .....plants take in CO2 when lights are on and give off oxygen...when lights are off they take in oxygen and give off Co2...and if you have co2 running at night it could kill the live stock if theirs to much co2 and little oxygen

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I will setup a two way valve and a bleed off valve for night time.

Cheers mick

Hi mate

i could be wrong but I'm not sure the plant in the back right corner is aquatic

And yeah co2 should be turned off at night

Double checked on the plant you mentioned 2ofus and your right it's not aquatic.

I am a little peeved at the moment as I bought three plants on Saturday from a chain store and all three I've found to be terrestrial.

Any suggestions for nice leafy plant for a centrepiece?

Cheers mick

Any suggestions for nice leafy plant for a centrepiece? Cheers mick

red lotus http://www.google.com.au/imgres?biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbnid=G_gB1CUl6CPWKM%3A&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aquapage.eu%2FPlants.php%3Fdetail%3D118&docid=Vu__NgnIdNrVyM&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aquapage.cz%2FObrazky%2FRostliny%2F43003.jpg&w=1024&h=768&ei=FicwU6zaHsSnkQXT_oGYCA&zoom=1&ved=0CFcQhBwwAg&iact=rc&dur=172&page=1&start=0&ndsp=17

Rotala sp mini "Butterfly" http://www.google.com.au/imgres?biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbnid=fYHrD6YmepZLPM%3A&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Faqua.c1ub.net%2Fforum%2Findex.php%3Ftopic%3D187321.0&docid=W2rWn1IvbkawnM&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fupic.me%2Fi%2Fyc%2F230720121738.jpg&w=2592&h=1944&ei=oSgwU7T7IoKVkwWVmIH4CQ&zoom=1&ved=0CGkQhBwwCA&iact=rc&dur=201&page=1&start=0&ndsp=16

Rotala nanjanshen http://www.google.com.au/imgres?biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbnid=p8YWO7GvPY883M%3A&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.acuaflora.com%2FRotala%2520nanjenshan.html&docid=m4Mpk7rl98r-PM&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.acuaflora.com%2Fimages%2Ffotos%252520de%252520plantas%2FRotala%252520Nanjenshan%2FRotala%252520Nanjenshan.jpg&w=350&h=263&ei=ZCkwU9_3Ic_ZkgWaq4GQAw&zoom=1&ved=0CJsBEIQcMBU&iact=rc&dur=495&page=2&start=18&ndsp=20

Hygrophila polyperma http://www.google.com.au/imgres?biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbnid=sCtgd72NGZB1QM%3A&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.liverpoolcreekaquariums.com%2Fstore%2Fp2%2FHygrophila_polyperma.html&docid=DBz46iUAXpCOZM&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.liverpoolcreekaquariums.com%2Fuploads%2F3%2F6%2F3%2F4%2F3634227%2Fs825395814821053_p2_i1_w577.png&w=577&h=455&ei=-ykwU4SpD8nslAXpiICQCg&zoom=1&ved=0CFQQhBwwAQ&iact=rc&dur=2642&page=1&start=0&ndsp=16

Thanks hjv6, definitely a red lotus and rotala butterfly, do you keep these plants or know somewhere that does as Im impatient and don't like waiting for postage lol.

Cheers mick.

PS is hjv6 what you drive?

Also is their a way of capturing the c02 I'm bleeding off at night.to reuse later? At the moment I'm running it into a tank that has some moss and two sponges so the oxygen levels don't drop.

I'm also producing enough c02 from one 2lt.bottle to run a 4ft tank easily.

Cheers mick

Thanks hjv6' date=' definitely a red lotus and rotala butterfly, do you keep these plants or know somewhere that does as Im impatient and don't like waiting for postage lol.

Cheers mick.

PS is hjv6 what you drive?[/quote']

I don't keep those yet but they are on my list for my 2x18x18 planted tank...the only place I know of that has them is

http://www.liverpoolcreekaquariums.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

if you order something from him is gets to you in about 1-2days depending or you could try pet city??

and this is what I drive

mycar.jpg

Nice, my uncle just sold a Hz 308 and is currently building a wb panelvan 308 with factory air and steer, i will get a toy one day but between fish and shrimp it could be a while lol.

Cheers mick

yer sweet I like the HZs ...never liked the WBs they have a ugly front on them haha........

I pulled out the 202 t-bar auto and put in a V6+T5 the V6 has the same hp as a 308 and is better on fuel then a 202

And starts every morning haha, i had a hj Ute with v6 5 speed around 10 yes ago I should never have sold it.

I have to agree with the wb I'm not a huge fan.

Cheers mick

And starts every morning haha' date=' i had a hj Ute with v6 5 speed around 10 yes ago I should never have sold it.

I have to agree with the wb I'm not a huge fan.

Cheers mick[/quote']

haha that too ...and the V6 has so much more poke then the 202 when first drove it with the v6 ( I did the conversion my self ) it did 100 in 3rd I was amazed how good it went

would love a HJ or HQ tonna

Now that I'm a mod I should set a good example and stay on topic lol, we can.start another thread on cars.

I have read on certain sites that adding Vegemite feeds the yeast and makes it last longer.

Has anyone tried and if so how much would I add.

Cheers mick

I wouldn't do it personally

The sugar feeds the yeast

I normally add 2/3 cups of sugar in a 2litre bottle

i put hot water in about 1 litre worth and dissolve as much of the sugar as I can

i then activate the yeast in a cup with Luke warm water then top the 2 litre bottle up with cold water and then add the yeast

that mix would last me 3+weeks

Hey Mick, i use a mix similar to 2ofus, only i mix raw sugar not white. I also run the CO2 line through a smaller bottle of water say a powerade size to capture any alcohol before going into the planted tank, i also fit a non return valve before tank. Remember any alcohol will kill your shrimps, you can get about 26-28 days from a mix depending on climate and age of yeast you are using. Good luck Gary.

I use the same method, just been doing some research lately and this was a method I come across.

Thanks for the speedy replies