hello

juki

:tears_of_joy: I am new to keeping shrimp. I have a 30L tank that i intially got 2 guppies for. This led to having heaps of guppies. Inow have 2 tanks and got some shrimp a couple of weeks ago.

Hi Juki, welcome to SKF.... Be warned, shrimp keeping is a highly addictive hobby.... Your guppies days are numbered ! LOL

Will try to get pictures but the tank is way overloaded with guppies and plants. i initially put 10 glass and 3 red cherry in there and i keep thinking they have all died as i don't see any. Then i look again and there will be one. The most i have counted at once though is 7 plus have only ever seen 1 red cherry shrimp (but only one of the red cherry shrimps was coloured when it went into the tank). BUT there is heaps of plants and moss. I have only had the shrimp for 2 weeks now and i think i may have lost some in this last water change as i haven't really seen too many this week. Do you nnow how long it takes them to aclimitise fully?

if there is a lot of plants and moss there is a good chance they will just be hiding in there somewhere out of sight from the guppies :)

they usually take acclimatize within the day and after 3ish they are well and truly settled.

cherry shrimp are the hardest to kill so you made a good first choice

hard one as i like my guppies but there are 2 many and i can't decide which ones to give away. they all seem to have something about their colouring that makes me say i'll keep you. then i end up with a heap of males so i then have to keep a certain amount of females......

Hi juki, mate nothing wrong with keeping "guppies" you will see the light soon enough, several tanks will be the order of the day soon. Enjoy SKF and make this forum your hame good luck.

Hey Juki, welcome :D

I know how you feel with your guppies, I went through the same thing with my Platy fish. Started off with 2 but then they just kept multiplying from there. What I did was just bite the bullet and get rid of all my males (except one, and I bought an extra tank for him), then they can't breed any more. Otherwise, maybe you could put all your males in one tank and all the females in the other? Then you get to keep them all :D

Great to hear you've started keeping shrimp, though! Like Dean already suggested, they're probably just hiding amongst all your plants. You might want to check inside your filter compartment as well, just to be sure none of them have been sucked up in there. When I thought I was losing mine that's where I found a whole heap of them were hiding!

I look forward to seeing some photos of your tank :D Even if you can't get a photo of the shrimp, feel free to show off your plants and guppies!

welcome Juki

i believe you'll soon be addicted to shrimps like others said and that's exactly how i started with guppies and ended up with shrimps only

looking forward to see your tank photos

Any hints on taking photos - camera settings, flash, tank lighting, time of day etc. Missed a good opportunity earlier, actually saw one of the shrimp and it was in a good spot for a photo too!!

hard one as i like my guppies but there are 2 many and i can't decide which ones to give away. they all seem to have something about their colouring that makes me say i'll keep you. then i end up with a heap of males so i then have to keep a certain amount of females......

Hey ya and welcome to the forum/hobby.

I used to keep Guppies myself, Had 5 tanks all set up dedicated to breeding them. Had HB blacks, Snake Skins, HB Neon Blues. All gone now, As said above. The shrimp will take over, The Guppies days are limited lol...

However, There is actually no need to keep Females to have Male Guppies. This was a myth invented by either good heart people who figured 'without a female, the males will be lonely' or by breeders who needed to sell of the less colourful females -shrugs-.

I had a male only tank, A female only tank, and 3 tanks for drops and selected breeding. I know many breeders who did the same. The males had no problems with the lack of females. They actually grew a lot larger as they actually ate rather than spending all day chasing the females around the tank lol.

I had a male only tank for well over 12 months and never saw any sign of stress or anything bad from the males.

The only time a male would be introduced to a female was in one of the selective breeding tanks, After they 'did their dance' I'd simply put the male back and allow the female to have the tank to herself until she dropped her fry. At this point I'd put the female back in the female tank and allow the fry to grow out by themselves until 4-8 weeks of age when I could sex them and put them into male/female tanks to keep the females virgins, as this helps to get more pure genetic lines.

Anyways, Sorry I'll stop rambling now. The point I'm trying to make is simply that males don't need to be around females for any health or happiness reasons at all.

• 4 weeks later...

At the moment i only have the one reasonable size tank. the other tank is a really small (10L i think) and doesn't really fit too many fish in there and is having a few 'issues' with moss and algae and water evaporating and generally a lot more work. Am going to try to get another bigger tank just have to sort out a space in the house!!! (the shrimp are in the bigger tank). If/when i get a bigger tank i plan on seperating them and if i feel like experimenting i can always use the little tank.

Still not seeing many shrimp. Everytime i think there are none alive i see a few. I haven't see the really red shrimp recently though, just the clear ones. It is generally once a week that i see them but only check about twice a day. Mind you i think i really have to pull the tank apart as there is enough of this fontanalis moss on top of a little house ornament that some plant had taken root in it!!! That might be where the shrimp hide though?