3 stage or 4 stage RODI filter

bozzy

hopefully this is the wrong place for this topic. if not can the mods move it please? thanks

looking at getting a rodi setup as ive been filling my tanks with dechlorinated tap water but want to eventually move from cherries to cbs/crs etc and dont want to risk crappy water killing anything i have currently

ive been looking online and found a place that assemble them locally and has good ebay feedback but im not 100% sure if i should go with the 3 stage or the 4 stage. the difference seems to be that the 3 stage has a combined sediment and carbon pre filter while the 4 stage has a spun sediment filter and a seperate carbon block filter

the price difference is only $30 but i cant seem to find an answer online as to whether the seperate filters are more beneficial or not

anyone able to shed any light on it for me?

The best place to get an RO/DI unit is from FSA( Filter Systems Australia) they are on the Gold Coast & they provide a next day delivery service. Speak to Ian & he will sort you out with a system that best suits your GPD requirements. They are very good & have sponsored competitions on this forum in the past. I have a three stage system which I was advised was more than enough for using the water in Fishtanks, the TDS comes out at 0ppm. The three stages consist of the first stage is carbon(to remove most of the stuff that will foul the membrane), the second stage is the membrane & the third stage is the De-Ironising resin(which removes the last of any impurities to get the TDS to 0). If you want the option to drink the water too, you will need a fourth alcalizer stage to buff the water up to a neutral PH of 7, otherwise the water will be bad for your teeth & also your body. :encouragement:

The best place to get an RO/DI unit is from FSA( Filter Systems Australia) they are on the Gold Coast & they provide a next day delivery service. Speak to Ian & he will sort you out with a system that best suits your GPD requirements. They are very good & have sponsored competitions on this forum in the past. I have a three stage system which I was advised was more than enough for using the water in Fishtanks' date=' the TDS comes out at 0ppm. The three stages consist of the first stage is carbon(to remove most of the stuff that will foul the membrane), the second stage is the membrane & the third stage is the De-Ironising resin(which removes the last of any impurities to get the TDS to 0). If you want the option to drink the water too, you will need a fourth alcalizer stage to buff the water up to a neutral PH of 7, otherwise the water will be bad for your teeth & also your body. :encouragement:[/quote']

thanks. ill look them up.

the place i was looking at was up that way too and can add the extra filter to make the water drinkable as i plan to use the unit to make water for both the tanks and to make home brew out of :cool-new:

Definitely go for the switchable four stage, this way you can switch between three stage for tanks & four stage for drinking. :encouragement:

Definitely go for the switchable four stage' date=' this way you can switch between three stage for tanks & four stage for drinking. :encouragement:[/quote']

with the drinking section added on it would actually make it 4 and 5 stage come to think of it. the option is basically either have the sediment and carbon filter in 1 canister together or in 2 seperate canisters.

i had a look at the fsa site and its a fair bit more expensive for their unit by the looks of it (about double the price) ill send them an email and find out exactly what it will cost for what i want though.

After talking with Ian myself I found that you only need a carbon stage, then a membrane stage, then the DI stage. For drinking you would need the extra alcalizer stage to make it drinkable, so with that you'd need a four stage unit. I got my three stage for $95, but I don't know if that particular one is still available. :D

:encouragement::encouragement::encouragement::encouragement:Yes go the 5 stage. I have one and its great.

The drinking water comes out an an amazing ph9 high alkaline. . Very healthy for u to drink. If u read on alkaline diet/drinking water u wont think twice. The remineralising comes from potassium. Very healthy. Everyone who has tried the ph9 love it!

i ended up getting a 3/4 stage one through FSA for a pretty good price so i can turn a tap and switch between drinking and aquarium. hopefully it will be delivered tomorrow

it was $195 delivered. has a carbon filter first stage, an RO second stage, a DI resin 3rd stage and the alternate 3rd stage is an alkalising stage to make it safley drinkable. theres a tap in the system to switch between drinking water and aquarium water.