Friendly reminder to check your RO systems.

Eshrimp

Well as most of you have prob seen i bought my new best friend EC/TDS/SAL Pen. Since then i have been testing all the water i can get my hands on lol. Well my RO reservoir has slowly started to creep up the TDS reading so i decided to have a look at the filters even though i had changed the lot about 3 months ago. Here is what i found LOL.... Of to the Industrial filtering store i go... LOL

8E651156-0404-4442-81E0-E158C63C9983.jpg

So peoples CHECK YOUR FILTERS!!!! Lol

Thanks for the thread, only 3 months, and the membrane got that dirty...wow....what's the TDS of your tap water?

crazy!! how much water do u think used over the last 3 months? must have super high tap TDS?

My Autofill RO system stores about 250lts and i use about 400lts of RO every week. I use RO for my shrimp tanks, marine tanks water changes and ATO, and my fresh water racks. Our mains water comes out between 300-400 TDS but on bad days it can reach almost 500 tds so my RO membrane does work hard 24/7.

holy sheep thats a lot of RO!! good to see ur getting ur monies worth :p

u must have an awesome set up!

• HOF Member

He does have the best setup I have ever seen, totally awesome. His marine tanks are beautiful ,the colour of the corals are vivid. I haven't seen any LFS have tanks as beautiful.Then don"t get me started on his Discus aww man they are beautiful. That shrimp tank Eshrimp has a journal about WOW there are so many beautiful shrimp in there and they all look so healthy. Just love it all:cheerful:

I bought some RO water on friday and yestetday went to do a water change so tipped enough in a container prior to adding my shrimp minerals and tested with my tds pen and got a reading of 277. So I triple checked it and same reading. Anyway they will replace my water but seriously need to consider getting my own unit

I bought some RO water on friday and yestetday went to do a water change so tipped enough in a container prior to adding my shrimp minerals and tested with my tds pen and got a reading of 277. So I triple checked it and same reading. Anyway they will replace my water but seriously need to consider getting my own unit

Did you use a container from where you got the water? Often marine guys just mix up their water in the lfs containers and can cause some issues.

If you can take your own container to get filled at least you know what it has been used for in the past.

Yep my own container which I had only that morning emptied out the last of the RO water it held. ive got my tds pen with me so will be checking my refill prior to leaving this time.

Wow... 277 tds from their RO.. did they mix up the waste water and good stuff?

What is the tds of your tapwater?

He said that he did something to the filters right before filling my container. Makes me wonder who else got water after me and what did they get?

Normally RO from here I get is like 5ppm max

my shrimp tank tds now 60ppm' date=' how to raise up / lower the tds?[/quote']

I use shrimpy minerals to raise my tds and just add pure RO to lower it. My natives tank is about 80 the crystals around 130 and cherries about 180

Wow... 277 tds from their RO.. did they mix up the waste water and good stuff?

What is the tds of your tapwater?

Yep went back to the shop today and after they tested the water and then checked their system and seems someone has allegedly turned a valve some where and the waste water was coming thru instead of the real RO water. Problem solved but assume their would be a few people out there not aware of what they have bought. thankfully ive now located a place 10 mins from home and cheaper that can supply me 20 litres on a regular basis.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• ngoomie
      Alright, I've done a bit more research on gentian violet's cancer-causing potential but I haven't yet done research on malachite green's to compare. But from reading the California propositon 65 document about GV (North Americans incl. some Canadians will recognize this as the law that causes some products they buy to be labelled with "known to the state of California to cause cancer", including the exact product I bought) it seems that the risk of cancer is related to internal use, either injection or ingestion. Speaking of ingestion, I think GV bans mainly relate to its use in treating fish/shrimp/etc. which are intended for human consumption, because of the above. And in countries where GV isn't banned for this purpose, it does seem to get used on various species of shrimp without causing any issue for the shrimp themselves (at least enough so for shrimp farming purposes). See the following: In February, the FDA Began Rejecting Imported Shrimp for Gentian Violet and Chloramphenicol (2022 article by Southern Shrimp Alliance) FDA Starts New Calendar Year by Refusing Antibiotic-Contaminated Shrimp from Three BAP-Certified Indian Processors and Adding a BAP-Certified Vietnamese Processor to Import Alert (2024 article by Southern Shrimp Alliance) Southern Shrimp Alliance and some other organizations have tons of other articles in this vein, but I'd be here for a while and would end up writing an absolutely massive post if I were to link every instance I found of articles mentioning shrimp shipments with gentian violet and/or leucogentian violet registering as contaminants. That being said, I know shrimp farmed for consumption and dwarf shrimp are often somewhat distantly related (in fact, the one time a shrimp's species name is listed that I can see, it's the prawn sp. Macrobrachium rosenbergii, who at best occupies the same infraorder as Neocaridina davidi but nothing nearer), but this at least gives a slightly better way of guessing whether it will be safe for aquarium dwarf shrimp or not than my bladder snail anecdote from the OP.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I would hazard a guess that perhaps those eggs were unfertilized and thereby unviable? Did the eggs change colour, usually yellow to grey as the yolks used up, or any eyes in the eggs. Is your water ok, using RO remineralised and the parameters in range, as I have heard others say that if the water isn't good it can 'force' a molt? How is it going overall, do you have a good size colony in the tank, you may have reached 'maximum occupancy' as a tank can only support so many occupants.
    • beanbag
      Hello folks,  The current problem I am having is that my Taiwan bee shrimp are molting before all their eggs have hatched.  Often the shrimp keep the eggs for 40+ days.  During that time, they lose about half or so, either due to dropping or duds or whatever.  Shortly before molting they look to have about a dozen left, and then they molt with about half a dozen eggs still on the shell.  Then the other shirmp will come and eat the shell.  These last few times, I have been getting around 0-3 surviving babies per batch.  I figure I can make the eggs hatch faster by raising the water temperature more (currently around 68F, which is already a few degrees higher than I used to keep it) or make the shrimp grow slower by feeding them less (protein).  Currently I feed Shrimp King complete every other day, and also a small dab of Shrimp Fit alternating days.  Maybe I can start alternating with more vegetable food like mulberry?  or just decrease the amount of food?
    • ngoomie
      Yeah, cancer risk was a thing I'd seen mentioned a lot when looking into gentian violet briefly. I kinda just figured it might only be as bad as the cancer risk of malachite green as well, but maybe I should look into it more. I've been doing a pretty good job of not getting it on my skin and also avoiding dunking my unprotected hands into the tank water while treating my fish at least, though. Maybe I'll just not use it once I'm done this course of medication anyways, because I know a store I can sometimes get to that's pretty distant carries both malachite green and methylene blue, and in pretty large quantities.
    • jayc
      Can't help you with Gentian Violet, sorry. It is banned in Australia violet for potential toxicity, and even possible cancer risks. I thought it was banned in Canada as well. At least, you now know why there isn't much info on gentian violet medication and it's use. But keep an eye on the snails after a week. If it affects the snails, it might not kill them immediately. So keep checking for up to a week. Much safer options out there. No point risking your own life over unsafe products.