Lighting Time …

BlueBolts

Planning to have my tank lights turn on from 5am-7am, the 2.30pm-8.30pm…unsure the effects whether the "unnatural break" in the lighting period will affect breeding/health etc ? Would love to hear comments / opinions … Thanks ALL in advance.

It's fine. I have a break in my CRS & CBS tanks lights from 11:30am - 1:30pm. Simulating cloud cover during midday. Helps fight algae growth as well. My lights come on at 7:30am off at 11:30am til 1:30pm then on till 7:30pm.

The tank isn't completely dark. It still gets ambient light from a nearby window, but not direct sunlight.

My shrimp seem to enjoy a bit of a break from super bright lights.

Certainly hasn't impacted breeding. My 10+ shrimplets would testify to that.

Your 8 hour break is quite long.

As long as your plant's don't suffer, I don't think the shrimp will mind. They might even like it.

So one solid block or on in the morning and off then on in the arvo?

I know two different lighting periods is no good for plants, I shouldn't think it will bother shrimp though. Observing them in the wild they tend to go for darker places in the middle of the day, under rocks, under cut banks and heavy plant cover, I would think its more for predator avoidance. As for their UV requirements ??? As far as I have seen they are not totally dependant on it but ???

Bob

Majority of my feeding and tank maintenance is done between 5-6.30am….. so this time slot is a must for practical reasons. Only have mosses in my tanks, so they should be OK ?

Just thinking that if we had those conditions, whether it would effect our breeding and well being …. ,mmmm…. I think NOT :o

• HOF Member

I always switch my lights off in the middle of the day, generally around 11.30 and back on about 1.30 . It hasn't affected my cherries they are continually berried, my mischlings are berried I on the other hand am not so low light doesn't help me BB. :redface-new:My mosses are growing but by the sound of it not as quickly as others say theirs does. My Anubias are doing well, most of my java types have lovely new growth and bolbitis ( not sure of spelling) is growing well. I have great biofilm on the back and side glass and very little to no algae growing elsewhere except a bit of hair type algae introduced on some plants. I have normal daylight in the room but no direct sunlight.

most creatures of nature, hide in dark places during the mid day sun.. and only come out during sunrise and sunset, so i think it doesnt matter :)

I have had most of my shrimp tanks running from 6-9 and then 2-10 and haven't noticed any issues.

In my opinion it is good because it is on when I go to work so I can have a 5 min (30 min) stare and then its on into the evening when it gets dark.

Also, I think having the lights on in blocks to suit your times stresses the shrimp less than flicking lights on and off all the time.

Thanks for all the feedbacks. GOt the lights on from 6-8am and 2-8pm over the past days, and it's been great…MUCH more tank staring time :-)

I break up the light oeriods aswell not only to help fight algae but it helps with photosynthesis aswell :)

i have bright led light during the day, and low led light during night time. as they love light better, they go pale without light :D

I have blue lights on 24/7 & the whites on for about 6hrs, trying to keep the hair algae down at the moment so they are only on for 4hrs at the moment, mosses seem to still be doing well. :encouragement:

Something to keep in mind is that according to the planted tank forums, supposedly plants take longer than algae to start photosynthesising after the lights go on. This may not be an issue in a tank where shrimp are constantly eating biofilm though.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• ngoomie
      Alright, I've done a bit more research on gentian violet's cancer-causing potential but I haven't yet done research on malachite green's to compare. But from reading the California propositon 65 document about GV (North Americans incl. some Canadians will recognize this as the law that causes some products they buy to be labelled with "known to the state of California to cause cancer", including the exact product I bought) it seems that the risk of cancer is related to internal use, either injection or ingestion. Speaking of ingestion, I think GV bans mainly relate to its use in treating fish/shrimp/etc. which are intended for human consumption, because of the above. And in countries where GV isn't banned for this purpose, it does seem to get used on various species of shrimp without causing any issue for the shrimp themselves (at least enough so for shrimp farming purposes). See the following: In February, the FDA Began Rejecting Imported Shrimp for Gentian Violet and Chloramphenicol (2022 article by Southern Shrimp Alliance) FDA Starts New Calendar Year by Refusing Antibiotic-Contaminated Shrimp from Three BAP-Certified Indian Processors and Adding a BAP-Certified Vietnamese Processor to Import Alert (2024 article by Southern Shrimp Alliance) Southern Shrimp Alliance and some other organizations have tons of other articles in this vein, but I'd be here for a while and would end up writing an absolutely massive post if I were to link every instance I found of articles mentioning shrimp shipments with gentian violet and/or leucogentian violet registering as contaminants. That being said, I know shrimp farmed for consumption and dwarf shrimp are often somewhat distantly related (in fact, the one time a shrimp's species name is listed that I can see, it's the prawn sp. Macrobrachium rosenbergii, who at best occupies the same infraorder as Neocaridina davidi but nothing nearer), but this at least gives a slightly better way of guessing whether it will be safe for aquarium dwarf shrimp or not than my bladder snail anecdote from the OP.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I would hazard a guess that perhaps those eggs were unfertilized and thereby unviable? Did the eggs change colour, usually yellow to grey as the yolks used up, or any eyes in the eggs. Is your water ok, using RO remineralised and the parameters in range, as I have heard others say that if the water isn't good it can 'force' a molt? How is it going overall, do you have a good size colony in the tank, you may have reached 'maximum occupancy' as a tank can only support so many occupants.
    • beanbag
      Hello folks,  The current problem I am having is that my Taiwan bee shrimp are molting before all their eggs have hatched.  Often the shrimp keep the eggs for 40+ days.  During that time, they lose about half or so, either due to dropping or duds or whatever.  Shortly before molting they look to have about a dozen left, and then they molt with about half a dozen eggs still on the shell.  Then the other shirmp will come and eat the shell.  These last few times, I have been getting around 0-3 surviving babies per batch.  I figure I can make the eggs hatch faster by raising the water temperature more (currently around 68F, which is already a few degrees higher than I used to keep it) or make the shrimp grow slower by feeding them less (protein).  Currently I feed Shrimp King complete every other day, and also a small dab of Shrimp Fit alternating days.  Maybe I can start alternating with more vegetable food like mulberry?  or just decrease the amount of food?
    • ngoomie
      Yeah, cancer risk was a thing I'd seen mentioned a lot when looking into gentian violet briefly. I kinda just figured it might only be as bad as the cancer risk of malachite green as well, but maybe I should look into it more. I've been doing a pretty good job of not getting it on my skin and also avoiding dunking my unprotected hands into the tank water while treating my fish at least, though. Maybe I'll just not use it once I'm done this course of medication anyways, because I know a store I can sometimes get to that's pretty distant carries both malachite green and methylene blue, and in pretty large quantities.
    • jayc
      Can't help you with Gentian Violet, sorry. It is banned in Australia violet for potential toxicity, and even possible cancer risks. I thought it was banned in Canada as well. At least, you now know why there isn't much info on gentian violet medication and it's use. But keep an eye on the snails after a week. If it affects the snails, it might not kill them immediately. So keep checking for up to a week. Much safer options out there. No point risking your own life over unsafe products.