my blue rilli x red rilli experiment

Gbang

alrighty guys so a while ago i saw this photo and it made me drool in my pants

http://img.tapatalk.com/cfdb45d1-2677-0479.jpg

unfortunately i don't know anyone who has these in the country and it made me think:

1. the blue rilli shrimp originates from the red rilli shrimp

2. clearly the blue body rilli gene and the red rilli colours can co exist if there are blue body and red rilli shrimp out there!

3. let's have an experiment!~!!

a while ago mr bluebolts had a spare male blue rilli that he purchased from another breeder a while ago so i asked him if he could sponsor me for this trial.

the experiment is to cross mr bluebolts blue rilli boy with all my red rilli girls who have a blue tinge in their body.

the goal:

-to get an intense red head and tail with a blue body.

-unfortunately i didn't have any intense red heads and tails with blue bodies, only blue bodied rilli shrimp with a little bit of red in their head and tail. but that's a start

results:

-90% of the babies came out intensely...for the lack of a better word....S&^% (see photos...yuk!)

- some came out blue rilli (woohoo!) so far i have counted 3-5 (two at the bottom right)

- but i have at least two shrimps with a lot of blue and the littlest of red!!!

- also, i didn't realise but the mom has a blue body with a little bit of red but red legs?!?!? cool! da big one in the photo :P

null-2.jpg

look at the video and you will see the mom for the first 15 seconds. one fry with a little bit of red until 27 seconds and the second baby until 36 seconds. back to the first baby and mom until 42 seconds and the blue rilli dad at the end. PLEASE WATCH THIS IN FULL HD. apologies on the crap camera work

enjoy guys! and anyone with more knowledge of the red rilli and blue body please kindly spread the love here :) i would love to know more

and anyone with any similiar experiments please feel free to post it all here too!!!!

Good stuff Gbang

what about putting all the ones with blue and red in a tank on there own and pick out the unwanted colours and let them keep breeding??

trav - haha fire and ice!!! like blades of glory

lachie - defs working on it gonna select the cool blues with reds on their body and go from there again when they grow another 5-10mm :) just dunno what to do with the 90% of crap rilli, i mean i'm sure they have the blue gene from dad but not sure what to do with them. any advice?

trav - haha fire and ice!!! like blades of glory

lachie - defs working on it gonna select the cool blues with reds on their body and go from there again when they grow another 5-10mm :) just dunno what to do with the 90% of crap rilli' date=' i mean i'm sure they have the blue gene from dad but not sure what to do with them. any advice?[/quote']

Are they F1 or F2 drops?

I would be inclined to let them breed and see what they produce .... you never know.

Some of my very deep blood red cherrys were produced from poorly colored parents ;)

lachie - defs working on it gonna select the cool blues with reds on their body and go from there again when they grow another 5-10mm :) just dunno what to do with the 90% of crap rilli' date=' i mean i'm sure they have the blue gene from dad but not sure what to do with them. any advice?[/quote']

could give them away or use them as feeders:angel: or have a tank just setup for the culls as they may hold ressesive genes but dont show it.

Hey pappy they are f1 drops but yeah pappy and Lachie you've got a point! I'll wait till there's at least f2 or 3 babies and then I'll seperate them into two tanks again. One good and one cull. Alas I need more tanks :s

what about putting a blue from your chocolate cherrys with them, or wait till you have the blue stabilised in the blue cherrys produced by the chocolate?? Id like to try this now;)

Oh my gosh, the shrimp in that photo you linked looks incredible O_O

Your mamma shrimp is beautiful! It's exciting that you managed to get a couple blue and red ones in the first go :D

• 2 weeks later...

i think i got the similar shrimp now ,red rilli and blue body ,but the pattern is not good ,i also waiting for their offspring and see what do they come out :)

i find that a good pattern really only occurs from one every 30. very hard to get but with selective breeding mate we will get there :)

will see if i can get more photos :) there hasn't been much change aside from the fry growing another 5 mm but parents are berried again

update

took some vids of the guys. a lot of the blue rillis came out very very pale and almost green! but i won't say they are my favourite. but one red rilli did come out very blue in pattern!

i took a video of them in their tanks and another i took them out and filmed them in a lil tank. they were fairly stressed out. but yes next generation i will be picking the best ones and breed them :)

them in their tanks with their siblings

them in a clear tank - one has an amazing pattern and look for the blue body red rilli baby!!! the rest are shitty blue rillis that almost look green :confused:

• 1 month later...

an update. so 90% came out super red rilli crap but we have some very interesting results!

check it out. some came in blue rilli but some came in blue with red patterns!!!

any opinions on what to do with the culls? i don't really want to keep them

currently i am taking out all red rilli males and only letting the F1 generation breed with blue rilli males

F1 blue rilli female from red rilli blue rilli cross. F2 coming right up :)

704749C6-F038-4D7A-931B-36DCC5534C31-5653-00000373D00D5885.jpg

F1 berried blue rilli female with a little red in head. berried too :)

4A9159F7-EC1F-4EB7-8F94-001DBE2CE922-5653-00000373CA785331.jpg

blue rilli with red lines all over the body :??? interesting...

FAD8670C-9516-44A7-A5BB-C9E20E6BB770-5653-00000373D55E34EE.jpg51F6A441-581D-492B-A199-850D0387E9AC-5653-00000373D85B06AC.jpg

Gbang

I have some tank space available that they can be put into and you will have full access to any offspring that are suitable for your programs!

Let me know

Greg

+1 on sending the culls to Greg....he's been very generous and a great SKF member !

Greg, spare tank space. WOW thats a super luxury !

post-29-13990985819_thumb.jpg found this on Facebook how cool almost looks like Spider-Man haha .. My blue cherries look very similar to you blue rilli I have a few with the red crown as you would call it on there heads just waiting for one female to drop to see what my results are also

post-206-139909846742_thumb.jpg