Yellow cherry sex ratio

Hyzenthlay

Hey everyone,

I read an offhand comment somewhere about yellow cherries dropping more male shrimplets than females and looking at my yellows I'm starting to worry they may all be male. I have around 25 that I got about a month ago from two different breeders, about 5 are around adult size and the rest are around 1cm. They are all very nicely coloured but the adults all look male in shape and none have saddles and the juveniles look male too.

I'm hoping that I just can't tell for the juvies yet as the male:female colour difference isn't as obvious as in the red cherries and they might be too young to have hit shrimpy puberty and got their curves yet. I can usually tell really young with the RCS.

Is it possible/likely I just won the all male shrimp lotto?

Anyone who breeds them know if there really is a weird sex ratio quirk to the yellow variety?

As you mentioned it is harder to tell the difference when they are young so you can't really be sure, when you're just starting out, of their sex until they start showing saddles, which is usually around 15-20mm. As you gain more experience you'll be able to tell a bit younger, but even now I have trouble telling with yellows cause their colour is a lot lighter than most other cherries. I would keep observing them until you are sure that they are old enough to start breeding, generally about 3 months old. :encouragement:

Yeah. I will do that then. Worst case scenario, I have an excuse to buy more shrimp in a few months time. :P

If you have the issue of a domination of one or the other sex, altering your water parameters with alter the sex ratios. as in Temperature and PH has total control of the sex ratios. I have not done the experiments to find out how it goes, But with everything else those two are the main factors in sex selection.

My ratios change with my water conditions, I will have to document it. Yes I don't test I just water change but I have really good water up here, I also have Crystals outside without chillers. for now.

Bob

If you have the issue of a domination of one or the other sex' date=' altering your water parameters with alter the sex ratios. as in Temperature and PH has total control of the sex ratios. I have not done the experiments to find out how it goes, But with everything else those two are the main factors in sex selection.

My ratios change with my water conditions, I will have to document it. Yes I don't test I just water change but I have really good water up here, I also have Crystals outside without chillers. for now.

Bob[/quote']

Is there a post where you aren't bragging about the great water you have there Bob? Yes we're jealous so stop rubbing it in will ya! Lol!

Even the most experienced will get sexing shrimp wrong sometimes...

LOL I even drink it right from the tap.

Sorry it is such a nice change to have good water after growing up keeping fish in Brisvagas

Bob