Whee!

Wraithie

Ive been hoping for this :D
DRNS with eggs' date=' they're TINY[/quote']Congrats! but i thought from the title you were on a rollercoaster or something...

But shrimp keeping is a roller coaster ride!

BB i know there are conflicting ideas on that but this is what i read recently

It is cultured in fresh water that is moving and well oxygenated . Other literature states that they require a brackish phase in their early life cycle stages, this was found not to be the case with larvae passing to young adults completely in freshwater.

This is the first berried one i have had so will see.

My DAS are always berried but so far I have not seen any evidence of young. Mind you they are in tank with various fish, and the fish could be eating all the offspring that are being born. Best of luck raising your DAS.

They will go through in fresh water, so long as there is no predators and you have some mulm in there for the young to feed around.

Bob

Congratulations and best of luck!! Keep us posted!

Theres a new tank in the works to get them out of the breeder box, i will have to include a decent amount of leaves for possible larvae :)

• 4 weeks later...

Interestingly she has a saddle again already, whilst still holding eggs, maybe its just that she is so see-through that i can actually see it, but i havent noticed this on other shrimp.

Getting very exciting :encouragement: I've had some crystals that have their saddle before they drop & they berry up again the day after she drops :victorious:

I am wondering if the female showed a new saddle while still carrying eggs because of a survival technique. Say for example she is finding the going good with plenty of food and no water source drying up, so she is prepared to make the most of the perfect conditions and breed up a storm. Not realising that in a maintained tank, the food and water conditions are always going to be laid on for her (and her relatives) benefit.

Well she dropped shrimplets today! They're absolutely tiny and I almost wasn't sure what I was looking at, I tried to take a photo with my macro lense but found it almost impossible to focus on them, they're pretty much shrimp shaped specs on the glass.

Also, she is berried again already and wanted to show off for the camera, once if get the pics off the card I'll post up :)

fingers crossed i can can keep them fed and alive

A quick food substitute is to put some spirulina or some thing like it in a small amount of water and us a barmix on it, beat it for a couple of minutes and use a eyedropper to feed them a small amount.

If you want to be realy sure they are eating, place a weak light at one end and after light out keep the weak light on and the fry will be attracted to this and you can feed them there.

Only aquarium suitable ones will survive. Because they move around in the open they are a target to be eaten by every thing, I mean who dosent like fresh prawn LOL.

Bob

A quick food substitute is to put some spirulina or some thing like it in a small amount of water and us a barmix on it' date=' beat it for a couple of minutes and use a eyedropper to feed them a small amount.

If you want to be realy sure they are eating, place a weak light at one end and after light out keep the weak light on and the fry will be attracted to this and you can feed them there.

Only aquarium suitable ones will survive. Because they move around in the open they are a target to be eaten by every thing, I mean who dosent like fresh prawn LOL.

Bob[/quote']

Wow what amazing help :-) thank you

Thanks Bob, atm i have Biozyme and barley grass powder as very fine shrimplet foods.

Spirulina powder is ultra fine & it's the same brand as the barley grass powder from Coles/Woolies, I have heaps if you can't find any. :encouragement:

So i finally learnt how to convert RAW images into something i can upload, they're not perfect photos as this is only my second attempt at a macro lense.

Here is the mother shrimp freshly berried the day after dropping (in addition to her i now have another 2 berried DRNS)

post-1355-139909864628_thumb.jpg

About the best i could do in trying to take a photo of the shrimplets which are TINY

post-1355-139909864633_thumb.jpg

post-3442-139909854393_thumb.jpg

post-3442-139909854397_thumb.jpg

Wow Wraithie, you are really getting lots of positive results with your DRNS, congrats & well done! :applause: