It finally Happened !

Baccus

I was getting a tad fed up with not seeing any signs of breeding happening with my Barney Springs Shrimp, so this evening I decided to net some out and move them over to my much warmer NT shrimp tank which also houses some spotted blue eyes. I knew the shrimp liked hanging out in a large clump of java fern, so it was a simple job to make a lucky dip around the hanging roots of the plant. I caught about 10 and was happy to go a head and move them......until I took a closer look and discovered a very heavily berried female. So after some quick photos I put her and her companions back into their java fern home with my corydoras, Borneo Suckers and Threadfin Rainbows. P1010945_zps2ce68df7.jpg P1010954_zps664c4970.jpg P1010958_zps6f94e25f.jpg I am hoping now they have finally turned a corner and will start producing more offspring to the point where I can actually spread them through fellow shrimp lovers tanks.

Thanks, I really hope that this means that I will start seeing more berried females and even some young getting about in the tank in the near future.

It's definitely looking good for that to happen, it seems that in the last few months that natives are becoming less of a mystery thanks to the success of people like yourself, Bob, Ben & Wayne. I'm sure their popularity will increase dramatically as people start to see them becoming easier to both breed & keep. :victorious:

I think my success has been more a fluke than good planning but thanks for the compliement. But then my Blackmore shrimp have been doing surprisingly well, and I did see a berried Darwin Red nose the other day in the tank as well. Now to just get my riffle shrimp large enough to start doing their thing. I have quite a few people interested in them, but my little boys are showing no signs of being in any hurry to grow up and become girls.

• HOF Member

Well done you! Great to see you having some success at an unknown quantity really. Hope the others follow suit for you.:encouragement:

Well done Girl, now to see the new colours start to turn in a generation or two. Keep us up to speed.

I will have to spread a few more around and people can really get them going.

Bob

Brilliant News Baccus!! Well done!!

Hey congrats great work. Don't think many will survive though in with the fish you have listed, even if there is massive amounts of cover.

• 2 weeks later...

I did some more work on my tank today and decided to do a more dedicated search and catch of my Barney Springs shrimp. I found one female berried (could be the same one as last time or a different one), and plenty of females saddled. The interesting thing I find about putting all of the shrimp together in a temp holding net is that the males then seem to be able to find the females and start mating. Any way just wanted to show a couple of new pics of them as they left the holding net and made their way back into their various hidey holes in the 4ft tank. P1020032_zps0b7c7d63.jpg P1020036_zps566a286c.jpg