TDS

Masta

Hey guys I just made a change to RO water today. I did a 80% water change from my old water which had 300 TDS and placed the new RO water in. Then I tested water it was 260 TDS? Is this normal? What do I do? I'm wanting to keep Tbs, not sure if they would like this TDS

Hi Masta,

1st, do test your RO water, to ensure it's TDS is close to zero. If the tank you've done the WC a new tank/recently cycled ? as a 80% WC is quite substantial.....did you use any product (i.e. Salty Shrimp....etc) to re-mineralise ? Presumed you did ? i.e 300 TDS down to 260 TDS.

TB's do generally prefer TDS between 150-200. Several hobbyist may have success outside this range, BUT this is generally the accepted level/target. I have bred TB's on TDS @ 250, BUT have better shrimplets survival at <200.

Don't forget your other WP, like GH & Ph ....

I keep my TB's in 180 tds and for me that works well..

Others keep it at different levels.. but thats what i do..

What is the tds of the RO water when it comes out of ro unit .?

Also if u dont have shrimp in tank u can do some more major water changes In next few days

I usually let tank sit for at least 24 hrs if i dk major water changes, so i dont have to restart the nitrogenous cycle..

Keep just adding just RO water until tds goes down..

Or if you really wanna make it drop down fast..

Go to coles and buy some 4L bottles of distilled water..

That will make it go down much fast , but can get costly depending on tank size..

If you have shrimp already in tank.. try not tk drop tds more than 10 ppm per week or you may stress them out and kill them..

Good luck and keel us updated :)

When the Ro comes out I test water and its 40 TDS, then I add the salty shrimp and added to the tank, After doing the 80% water change which the water is already cycled. Not sure how to lower more, I have 6 CRS you sent me Marcus waiting for their new home. Shall I just keep trying to water change until I get it below 200?

I just did a second batch and test ro water that came out, it was 15 TDS. I shall use this water instead. The CRS are in 300 TDS water waiting for the new RO water tank to be done, when I acclimatise them, will they be stressed due to the rapid TDS drop?

Why 40 ? Is it a new unit ? Should really be 0. I'd just do a 10% WC with 50% of the 260, i.e. 130, every 2-3 days, until you get down to about 150-200ppm... Those CRS are from 150ppm.

Yeah it's a brand new unit I just bought

What the TDS coming out of your tap ? Mine's like 380, and when new, come out at 0 ..... maybe worth bringing it to the attention of the seller.

I had the same thing with my RO unit when it was new, it started out at 40 & after a few hours use it dropped to <5. :victorious:

According to instruction, u should run an amount of water through the RO media to clean all the dust and everything before using that unit. Am I right?

Are you sure it has a proper DI canister add on? as the DI is the one that lowers the TDS...if it remains high coming out of unit maybe replace the DI resin?

I got my unit for Filter Systems Australia. And yup water comes out at 10 now, should be less future on. Now my tank is at 240 TDS, would you say this is good enough for TBs?

Nice, you can keep them at 240 but you'll have much better success at around 150. :encouragement:

I measured TDS after adding salty shrimp, and its 180 exactly, no idea how I'm going to get it down to 150 lol

Add more RO water or add less salty shrimp to the RO water you make up.. Be sure to run your DO/DI Unit till it tests close to 0.

• HOF Member

I love that ad but hubby can't see anything funny about it:encouragement:

• HOF Member
Should check out the website on your computermabob' date=' it's hillarious! :victorious:[/quote']

ive liked his page- very funny